PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having a Difficult Time Trying to Upgrade to 9.04

HorseSnot
May 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
When attempting to upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04, I get this error message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Okies, so I attempt via command line and it asks for superuser privileges, for some reason I'm getting authentication failure. Is there a way to reset the superuser passwd or should I just blow the whole OS away and reinstall? I'm not terribly concerned with any extraneous software I've downloaded, so it's no great loss if I have to do that.

Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks very much in advance!

taurus
May 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
You did include the sudo in front of the command, right?

sudo dpkg --configure -a
On the other hand, not sure if it's wise to skip a release, jumping from 8.04 to 9.04, by-passing 8.10.

8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04

sailthesea
May 17th, 2009, 01:33 AM
When attempting to upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04, I get this error message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Okies, so I attempt via command line and it asks for superuser privileges, for some reason I'm getting authentication failure. Is there a way to reset the superuser passwd or should I just blow the whole OS away and reinstall? I'm not terribly concerned with any extraneous software I've downloaded, so it's no great loss if I have to do that.

Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks very much in advance!

If you put sudo dpkg --configure -a in the CLI and it refused your password you gotta get the right one or reinstall Check your Cap Lock!

HorseSnot
May 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Ok. It was an operator error: me! I did not include sudo before the command! Arf! Heck, just a newb!

Thanks so much!:KS