PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed icons don't work.

Madfoot713
May 17th, 2009, 01:22 AM
So, I've been trying to install icon sets from System > Preferences > Art Manager, but when I try to apply them from System > Appearance > Theme > Customize > Icons, instead of showing up the way they should, they look exactly like the GNOME icons. If it matters, I'm running the newest version of Ubuntu in VirtualBox under Mac OSX Leopard.

days_of_ruin
May 17th, 2009, 03:14 AM
They must be an invalid icon set. If an icon set has errors ubuntu will fall back to the gnome icon set. If you post a link to the icon set I can
verify if it is valid or not.

Madfoot713
May 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
The one I tried to use was the one on the top right of this page, Kreski-Lines: http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon?page=2.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D

Nerv68
May 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm having the same problem. Could someone help?

Sarai the Geek
May 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM
There's a problem with the icon package- I'm going through it to see if I can find the issue. In the meantime, pick a different icon set, perhaps something from gnome-look?

Sarai the Geek
May 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I found the problem... some of the icon names are wacky-doodle. It's fixable, but time-consuming. Exactly how badly do you want this icon set?

Nerv68
May 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I took a look into the packages and it looks pretty... weird. And it seems as though some other themes are that way too. I'll just get another theme.

Sarai the Geek
May 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I took a look into the packages and it looks pretty... weird. And it seems as though some other themes are that way too. I'll just get another theme.

On the surface, it actually looks okay- that's the basic layout of icon packages in gnome. The problem is that some of the icons are improperly named, so the computer doesn't know where to look for the right icon. My best guess is that this icon package was designed for a non-debian based distro- maybe gentoo. I had an icon package like this that I really liked, and I eventually got it functional, but it took a lot of renaming and... sigh... trial and error.