PDA

View Full Version : What mobile OS do you use?

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Note: "What do you use?" not "What is your favorite?"

I was just curious about what Linux users use on their phones. Hopefully I didn't miss any. :D

Here are my thoughts:
Android | Free beer and speech, I hope it takes over the world
iPhone OS | Slick looking but very closed and restrictive, best-suited for iZombies
Blackberry OS | So-so, requires a special Blackberry plan and must sync to Blackberry servers
Symbian S60 | Fast, reliable, and open, but ugly
Windows Mobile | As bad as desktop Windows, slow and buggy
WebOS | Will probably beat everyone else by lightyears, once it's released..
Palm OS | Absolutely ancient, god bless those Treo users
OpenMoko | Didn't want to exclude anyone, but really who uses that?
Dumbphone | Unfortunately this is what I use right now (Symbian S40), until I find a good smartphone :KS
Don't have a cell phone | Orly?

Oh yeah here (http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/19/mobile-os-shootout-iphone-os-3-0-enters-the-fray/)'s a very good comparison.

steev182
May 17th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Currently an 'iZombie' but as soon as the Samsung i7500 rears its head, I will be moving to Android.

So far Android has looked good, but the main thing holding me back has been the hardware. HTC hardware has a really plasticky feel to it. Even the iPhone 3G felt too plasticky so I stayed with the original iPhone.

The Samsung looks much better quality than the G1, and even the Magic.

I'm really looking forward to a device that will sync media easily with Linux.

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I agree, the i7500 looks really good. But it's probably too expensive for me. I have $250 to get a smartphone this summer and I only get phones unlocked. Yes quite a dillema. :) I could get a used G1 (which will be even cheaper once the G2 and the G1 v2 come out) or a brand new Nokia e63. I think Android and Symbian are my two favorites.

Zom-b
May 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
right now I am using Android, and I'm loving it.

dragos240
May 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I have to say palmos, I have a cellphone, but its cheap, it can't do anything but 2 games and call, and theres no way to upgrade any firmware, but I have a palm T|E.

Newuser1111
May 17th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I don't have a cell phone, but I voted for iPhone OS because I have an iPod Touch.

Joeb454
May 17th, 2009, 01:33 AM
iPhone for me. I did jailbreak it once, but I didn't really think I'd use many of the features, so I reverted it :p

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I imagine it's a pain for a Ubuntu user to use an iPhone.

Wiebelhaus
May 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM
You didn't provide a "Other" option...

I'm using a modified Unix on the Instinct and Fusic.

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 02:57 AM
You didn't provide a "Other" option...

I'm using a modified Unix on the Instinct and Fusic.

Cool.

I would have put an "other" option if there wasn't a limit of 10 poll choices. But I guess I should have just put "other" instead of OpenMoko..

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
iphone currently, android in the near future once it's on a phone that's decent.

hanzomon4
May 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
iPhone.... great phone but I think I'll move to the pre(webos) when it comes time to upgrade

lisati
May 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Had to vote for "dumbphone", even though mine is Java capable (haven't bothered checking which version)

ohbuntu
May 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Err.. where's UIQ, the precursor to most current generation touch screen devices?? I think the OP should've included an "other" option.

I use a 8900 Curve (BB OS) as my primary phone and a Sony Ericsson P1i (UIQ) as a backup.

TuckLive
May 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
BlackBerry OS right now, but looking at Android in the near future.

MindFlayer
May 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
S40?

Paqman
May 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Dumbphone for me. I've held off upgrading since the phone market has been changing so fast. Went and had a play with the new Android HTC Magic the other day though, and it's sick. I'll be getting one in a couple of months when my contract starts to wind down and I can threaten my network into giving me a good deal on one.

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Err.. where's UIQ, the precursor to most current generation touch screen devices?? I think the OP should've included an "other" option.

I use a 8900 Curve (BB OS) as my primary phone and a Sony Ericsson P1i (UIQ) as a backup.
Oh forgot about that one. Yeah I should've put an "other" option.

S40?
What about it? :)

Joeb454
May 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Not really. My laptop is a MacBook, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me. Despite that, I rarely sync my phone, I don't need to :)

And I can edit the poll to show "other" instead of OpenMoko if you like?

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
And I can edit the poll to show "other" instead of OpenMoko if you like?

Sure, thanks. :)

Name change
May 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I have no idea...
Whatever is on Nokia 5610 XpressMusic.
I think it's symbian, but I'm not sure..

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I have no idea...
Whatever is on Nokia 5610 XpressMusic.
I think it's symbian, but I'm not sure..
Yes all Nokias use Symbian, but yours would be S40 not S60. S60 is a smartphone OS but S40 is not, so it should be considered "dumbphone" (no offense to your phone of course :)).

Lol someone actually uses OpenMoko?

RandomJoe
May 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I guess technically I have NO phone. But I do use a company-provided "dumbphone". In fact, the company owner has them locked down so they won't even text message. He had some employees running up a heckuva bill texting instead of working at one point a while back...

I keep getting tempted by the newer phones, but every time I've come close to getting one I get pissed off at the phone companies and their pricing plans all over again! *sigh* To get the things I really want, I'm forced to take a whole bunch of crap I'll never use at what I think is a ridiculous price. No thanks.

.Maleficus.
May 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
iPhone OS. I'm very excited for OS 3.0 to come out, it's going to add a lot of great features. Android is interesting, but I 1) don't like the G1 and 2) only have AT&T and Sprint around here (Verzion might be too but I don't care for them).

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah, although I don't buy Apple products, OS 3.0 for the iPod Touch should be really amazing. A2DP Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth multiplayer games. That completely beats Zune-to-Zune WiFi since no one has a Zune and WiFi kills the battery.

Vostrocity
May 22nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Let's keep the poll alive.. bump.

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 Pocket PC phone. It may be "As bad as desktop Windows, slow and buggy", but there is a lot of quality freeware to run on it. I can't afford an iPhone or the software that you have to buy to make it worth having.

Vostrocity
May 23rd, 2009, 05:05 AM
I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 Pocket PC phone. It may be "As bad as desktop Windows, slow and buggy", but there is a lot of quality freeware to run on it. I can't afford an iPhone or the software that you have to buy to make it worth having.

Yeah I agree. I have a really old WinMo 5 PDA that I don't use anymore but it's filled with random apps and games that I got for free.

t0p
May 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
I've got a "dumbphone" - Sony Ericsson K800i. It's actually pretty cool. It's a 3G phone, and it can use j2me (java) apps - I use the opera mini web browser, MidpSSH telnet/ssh client, Google Maps, Youtube video streaming. And it has an email client built-in so I can check my email accounts when I'm out and about. I'd like a smart phone, and I'll probably get something running Android when my K800i dies. But I'm in no hurry.

all Nokias use Symbian, but yours would be S40 not S60. S60 is a smartphone OS but S40 is not, so it should be considered "dumbphone"?

I'm interested to know where you got the idea that all Nokias use Symbian. Yes, S60s use Symbian, as do some Sony Ericssons. But Nokia S40s are just plain old dumbphones. Symbian is an OS, and S40s don't have a proper OS - they have flashed ROMs like every other dumb phone. Nokia S40s cannot run Symbian apps - they just use j2me like other dumb phones. You wrote that "S60 is a smartphone OS" but that's not right. S60 is a type of phone. S60 phones use Symbian.

MikeTheC
May 23rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Samsung M610...

My next phone may be a Prē, however.

Vostrocity
May 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I've got a "dumbphone" - Sony Ericsson K800i. It's actually pretty cool. It's a 3G phone, and it can use j2me (java) apps - I use the opera mini web browser, MidpSSH telnet/ssh client, Google Maps, Youtube video streaming. And it has an email client built-in so I can check my email accounts when I'm out and about. I'd like a smart phone, and I'll probably get something running Android when my K800i dies. But I'm in no hurry.

I'm interested to know where you got the idea that all Nokias use Symbian. Yes, S60s use Symbian, as do some Sony Ericssons. But Nokia S40s are just plain old dumbphones. Symbian is an OS, and S40s don't have a proper OS - they have flashed ROMs like every other dumb phone. Nokia S40s cannot run Symbian apps - they just use j2me like other dumb phones. You wrote that "S60 is a smartphone OS" but that's not right. S60 is a type of phone. S60 phones use Symbian.

Oops I thought that S40 was just a lightweight, simplified version of S60. But S60 is also not a type of phone. It's a software frontend built on the Symbian OS.

Sporkman
May 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM

If you plug it in to your Ubuntu system, it recognizes it as a camera, and you can download the pictures from it (though they're all rotated 90 deg counterclockwise).

Can't sync/control it, though, like you can from a Mac.

Vostrocity
May 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
As I said I'm upgrading my dumbphone to either an Android, S60, or WinMo device. I've never used a smartphone before so I'm not exactly sure how they work when connecting to a computer (specifically a Ubuntu system). I think all of them can do software updates over the air, and I use Google services so I don't need to sync with a desktop calendar or email program. So other than to drag-n-drop media files do I ever need to connect them to a computer? If so, I'm most concerned with WinMo because I know Vista and Win7 came with a "Windows Mobile Center". I'm not sure if WinMo devices have to use that program or what.

n2dabloo
May 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I would buy an Android based phone IF I knew I could easily sync media with my Asus N10j running Jaunty. Is that possible? I am also running Windows XP on this little netbook, but I want to do as much as I can with Ubuntu. I'm using an unlocked Blackberry now. I can transfer music and photos easily, haven't tried video yet :)

gjoellee
May 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Sony Ericsson

go_lanche
June 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I am currently using a dumbphone but am about to get a new smartphone, I find the lack of linux-friendly options annoying, and am open to recco's on what to get next on my verizon account.

Vostrocity
June 5th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for reviving the thread. :D

Mateo
June 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM
'droid

unoodles
June 5th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I dual boot my HTC AT&T Tilt between Android and Windows Mobile. Eventually, I hope to move completely to Android, but the only two issues right now are bluetooth, and wifi.

Edit: Here's a link that may interest people with HTC phones running WM. http://www.androidonhtc.com/

solitaire
June 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I current have a S60 Nokia N95 ( Getting a E63 next week for free).
Might sell the E63 but i'll see what it's like (The N95 does everything i need)

BrokenKingpin
June 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I very much dislike phones... just the sound of one ringing makes me angry. I also cannot stand how many kids just walk around texting all day. I was in a Walmart yesterday and this girl around 13 yr walking right into a pole because she was texting on her phone.

solitaire
June 7th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I very much dislike phones... just the sound of one ringing makes me angry. I also cannot stand how many kids just walk around texting all day. I was in a Walmart yesterday and this girl around 13 yr walking right into a pole because she was texting on her phone.

lol!!

Well if you had a smartphone you could have recorded it on video and send it in to those shows that pay for funny videos! :D:D

You could have been $'s richer...

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I very much dislike phones... just the sound of one ringing makes me angry.

you have issues.

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I current have a S60 Nokia N95 ( Getting a E63 next week for free).
Might sell the E63 but i'll see what it's like (The N95 does everything i need)
The E63 is a very nice budget Qwerty phone. You probably don't want to sell it though, since they go for only $150 brand new unlocked.

---

Woohoo the Pre just came out today! (Wait it's past midnight so that'd be yesterday :D) Let's see if votes for WebOS go up.

gashcr
June 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
my phone can make and receive calls, and send sms... that's all... I don't really know if it needs an OS to do that :P

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm surprised that all the smartphone OSses added together have more users than dumbphones, considering that worldwide the ratio of smartphones to dumbphones is 1:7 or something.