PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Compiz

PhilMize
May 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Sooo I'm new to kubuntu and I'm not sure exactly whats up with kde. It seems a little buggy and or hesitant on my lenovo.But it just feels right compared to gnome. So I'm wondering how do I configure compiz in kde? I have synaptic installed and installed compiz, well I think I did. Are there separate versions of compiz? One for kde, one for gnome? Is he reason I can't get it working because I'm running 9.04? On ubuntu 9.04 compiz was all sorts of effed up, but before I switched to kubuntu, I ran ubuntu 8.10 and had everything working perfectly. If anybody could show me a few pointers to kde, is there anything I should be doing? O and for w/e reason pidgin won't stay open when i close it... like it doesn't go to the system tray. Annoying is all really.

Thanks,
:o

Screwdriver0815
May 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
when you run Kubuntu Jaunty you actually don't need Compiz because Kwin - the window manager of KDE supports 3d effects by default when you have a graphics driver which supports 3d. Just go into system settings -> desktop -> desktop effects (on the lefthand side). There you can switch on the effects and choose which you want to use.

anyway there is a different compiz for KDE: compiz-kde but I don't know how this works in KDE 4.2

Pidgin you also don't need (if you have installed it seperatly) because Kopete does the job as good as Pidgin.

krazyd
May 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I would also recommend the built-in kwin desktop effects over compiz. It is much more usable and uses less resources than compiz here.

PhilMize
May 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
yes i had the desktop effects enabled but i rebooted and they are gone and now when i open them i can see they are all enabled but they arnt working...

and kopete is gay because it doesnt support gtalk

krazyd
May 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
yes i had the desktop effects enabled but i rebooted and they are gone and now when i open them i can see they are all enabled but they arnt working...Do windows go transparent when you drag them?

and kopete is gaylets keep this conversation at a 10yr old + level.

because it doesnt support gtalkhttp://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Google+Talk+support

PhilMize
May 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Do windows go transparent when you drag them?
lets keep this conversation at a 10yr old + level.
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Google+Talk+support

*coughs* *clears throat* :-\" errr umm did I say that?

Anyways, I booted it up this morning and it magically works now. But it's a little bit glitchy. Its just not smooth, but it may be because support for my graphics card after 8.10 was dropped.No biggy I'll deal.

krazyd
May 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM
*coughs* *clears throat* :-\" errr umm did I say that?

Anyways, I booted it up this morning and it magically works now. But it's a little bit glitchy. Its just not smooth, but it may be because support for my graphics card after 8.10 was dropped.No biggy I'll deal.
That's good! ;)

What's your graphics card? Radeon HD something?

PhilMize
May 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
That's good! ;)

What's your graphics card? Radeon HD something?

](*,)
Integrated... Intel Chipset I believe...

krazyd
May 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
That's your problem then. Intel graphics are flaky in Jaunty because the driver is undergoing a major rewrite at the moment. you might have to stick to 8.10 until 9.10, or try something like the xorg edgers ppa.

PhilMize
May 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Yea >_> thats what i figured... ugh 9.10 can't come fast enough!