PDA

View Full Version : anyone here wear doc martens?

instantkarma
May 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I do. These (http://www.shoebuy.com/dr-martens-saxon-3989-bxm/178527/402464) actually (but in brown). One of my favorite pairs of shoes ever. Comfortable, durable and good-looking.
I'm sure there are fashion inquisitors out there who would have me burned at the stake for wearing them (it ain't 1994 anymore) but I have yet to encounter one, and if I did I doubt I'd let their opinion affect me.

Anyone anything to share on the topic?

LollYouSuckZor
May 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
What the hell..

SLEEPER_V
May 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I wear them. I like them. Kinda hot for summer here but whatever

speedwell68
May 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I have been wearing Doc Martens since the early 80s and they are great. I have a pair of 10 hole boots and a pair of their shoes for work. I will say this, they are not as good as they used to be nor they are made in the far east. Although the limited edition ones are still made in the UK.

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
how long did the orthopedist say you had to wear them?

swoll1980
May 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I love my docs!

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Lol never even heard of them. I prefer Adidas and Timberland. :D

lisati
May 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Does the Doc have any say in who gets to wear his clothes?

Never actually tried them.....

instantkarma
May 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
how long did the orthopedist say you had to wear them?

until I can come up with a slick moniker like 'chucky chuckaluck'. ;)

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
until I can come up with a slick moniker like 'chucky chuckaluck'. ;)

"there can only be one..."

starcannon
May 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I wear doc's, but I will say, the first month is a bear. The break in period for me was long, and painful; once through though, best most comfortable pair of boots I've owned. They are not as good as Whites or Hawthorns, but then again they aren't as expensive either.

reprobus
May 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Doc's are the only boots and shoes that I will wear.

tgalati4
May 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Birkenstocks for me.

issih
May 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Not for a few years...they are comfy though, and are one of the few brands of shoes that actually last more than a year with me (Something about the way I walk destroys shoes...I just end up walking holes into the sole)

Might have to get some new ones now that you've reminded me of them :)

speedwell68
May 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Doc's are the only boots and shoes that I will wear.

Ditto, other than that it is sandals and flip flops.

Chilli Bob
May 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I wore Docs back in the eighties, but not since. A few weeks ago I was buying shoes and saw some Docs at Williams, and thought, that's a good price for Docs, I might get a pair. But as soon as I picked then up it was obvious they weren't Doc quality. Sure enough looking at the label, the were maid in Taiwan. WTF! There were also a more expensive pair, at the price you would expect to pay for Docs, but again the quality wasn't there (in particular, the leather didn't feel like Doc leather, and the stitching was second rate). These turned out to be made in China. Again, WTF! When did this happen? (2003 according to Wikipedia) This is a travesty. If something as great as Docs can fall, there is no hope for any of us.

Is anyone out there wearing these Asian Docs, and if so, how do they compare comfort-wise to the old UK made ones?

Wiebelhaus
May 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I have been since about 13 , the UK sizes fit me much better then the American sizes and they are just the best boots in my opinion. I like the old school docs with real souls.

My Wife does when she's not running or wearing heels.

instantkarma
May 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I wore Docs back in the eighties, but not since. A few weeks ago I was buying shoes and saw some Docs at Williams, and thought, that's a good price for Docs, I might get a pair. But as soon as I picked then up it was obvious they weren't Doc quality. Sure enough looking at the label, the were maid in Taiwan. WTF! There were also a more expensive pair, at the price you would expect to pay for Docs, but again the quality wasn't there (in particular, the leather didn't feel like Doc leather, and the stitching was second rate). These turned out to be made in China. Again, WTF! When did this happen? (2003 according to Wikipedia) This is a travesty. If something as great as Docs can fall, there is no hope for any of us.

Is anyone out there wearing these Asian Docs, and if so, how do they compare comfort-wise to the old UK made ones?

Turns out my docs are 'made in thailand'...Doesnt bother me though because:

a. They are as comfortable as any other pair of shoes I've owned (I've been wearing timberlands for most of my adult life - when I've been wearing shoes). Have never worn the 'made in uk' ones so I dont know how they compare...

b. I got them for $35 (usd) off the doc martens website (not including shipping). They were on sale and were originally something like $90. So I figured for that kind of money I couldn't go wrong and it was worth a shot.

Swagman
May 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM

The Doc Martin factory on the outskirts of Rushden (Irthlingborough) closed down about five years ago. I believe ALL Dee Emms are now manufactured in the Far East...

On 1 April 2003, under pressure from declining sales, the Dr. Martens company ceased all production in the United Kingdom[1], with production moved to China and Thailand. With this change also came the end of the company's vegan-friendly non-leather products, which were produced since January, 2000. In 2007, the company began producing footwear again in England, in the Cobbs Lane Factory in Wollaston. These products, the "Vintage" line which the company advertises as being made to the original specs, can be purchased at the Dr. Martens USA website [2] or the Dr. Martens UK website. [3]

Ok.. So they have opened a smaller plant round the corner in Wollaston

D.M's Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Martens)

gn2
May 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Remember to sing the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhg_QIyMxZw) when you're wearing them. :guitar:

steveneddy
May 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I wear Justin boots lace up.

Cheaper than Docs and better quality IMHO.

Kingsley
May 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
What color laces do you people wear on your Doc Martens? :rolleyes:

drawkcab
May 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I bought a pair of doc boots back in 1993. Honestly, they were terrible shoes and I hated them.

reprobus
May 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM
What color laces do you people wear on your Doc Martens? :rolleyes:

Red, the same color as my Braces (Suspenders).

wvmac
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I have some doc sandals from 1998 that I wear every summer. I am obviously not very hard on shoes though. I think they were $130 back then. I'm going to be sad when they finally wear out.

starcannon
May 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I have some doc sandals from 1998 that I wear every summer. I am obviously not very hard on shoes though. I think they were $130 back then. I'm going to be sad when they finally wear out.

I bought a pair last year; a pair of 1914's still only costs $130.

If your a guy, be SURE to get the 1914's not the 1914 W's, that W doesn't mean "Wide" it means Womens, and they are very Narrow; my shoe store about broke my feet the first time around because of the misunderstanding.

MikeTheC
May 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Nope. Having looked at the photo, I think I've seen them before. However, they're not really my sort of thing.

nothingspecial
May 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Never wear anything else (on my feet). Wear at work, at home, playing football. I wore them at my wedding. And I suspect who ever organizes my funeral will put me in them at that too.

nothingspecial
May 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Assuming I didn`t get my feet chewed off by a shoal of killer fish.

Spose they could put em on my head.

If I`ve still got a head.