PDA

View Full Version : On topic?

Vostrocity
May 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Have you guys noticed that this "Community Cafe" is a lot more on topic than the off topic subforums on most other forums? Pretty every post has something to do with computing, Linux, or something like that. Just pointing that out.. :D

hyperdude111
May 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
This may be partly due to the restrictions on freedom of speech in place here:

Politics
Current affairs
Religion

Are all hot topics on other forums but are restricted here.

lisati
May 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
This may be partly due to the restrictions on freedom of speech in place here:

Politics
Current affairs
Religion

Are all hot topics on other forums but are restricted here.

I suspect that the main reason for these "restrictions" is that we can't count on people keeping things respectful when opinions differ on these topics.

Vostrocity
May 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Yes but there are many things that unrelated to tech that doesn't violate the restrictions.

Like food, travel, animals..

nolliecrooked
May 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Yes but there are many things that unrelated to tech that doesn't violate the restrictions.

music, chicks, gaming, skating, tv shows, films....
but guess what, this is a forum for tech support for a linux distro. so most people who come here are gonna have nerdish tendancies, which means lots of l337 tech talk...

lisati
May 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM

True, but have you noticed that passions often run higher with things like politics and religion? Sometimes even discussions on preferred operating systems take on religious overtones.

scottuss
May 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Ssshh! They might be watching this.....

cariboo
May 17th, 2009, 12:11 AM
They are :)

lisati
May 17th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ssshh! They might be watching this.....

They are :)

Duly noted!

<aside>I One of the running jokes in our house is that when a vehicle with a siren hoons along the main road we live near, I put on a fake panic, "they're coming for me!!!!" On the rare occasion they end up travelling past our place, "phew! that's a relief"</aside>