PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz will not run when trying to use Cube plugin

Dimitriid
May 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I am running 9.04 with the latest nvidia driver in the repository. Everything was working ok except one day I turned off the effects on the appearance menu.

I tried re-enabling them and they work. But as soon as I try to activate the cube plugin compiz stops. WHen I attempt to run it via the terminal this is what I get:

$ compiz --replace
Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1360x768) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png
libpng error: Read Error
Aborted

Now I ran the compiz-check and everything is ok. I tried to remove and reinstall all compiz packages and still have this issue. I also found this comment but I do not understand how you change those settings:

The reason why my compiz/glxinfo wouldn't work is that the symlink to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so was wrong. It was linked to an old and non-existant library installed in Hardy. I removed the symlink and created it again with the latest libglx.so.177.76 library. Now everything workes again.

Any ideas? Is not crucial as compiz otherwise works fine but I'd like to use the cube.

rflamini
May 25th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I am having the same problem, when ever I try to use compiz it just stops at starting gtk-window-decorator. here is what it says:
rfg@RFG-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Blacklisted PCIID '8086:2a02' found
SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1440x900) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
running under gnome seesion, checking for gnomecompat
/usr/bin/compiz.real (snow) - Info: Loaded Texture snowflake.png
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png
Starting gtk-window-decorator

and it stays there.
I am running ubuntu 9.02 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 using intel graphics.
Please Help!!

Dimitriid
May 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I partially resolved this by removing the skydome and caps. I later entered caps again and it continues to work, im guessing is related to the skydome.

Naizo
November 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
hi hi all ... i got the same problem ... can any1 tell me what to do ? cuz i am new at ubundu and cant do a lot of things :/

JaymoS
November 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM
i am experiencing a similar problem but compiz is running just fine, including the cube plugin i am trying to get compiz to launch on startup by adding the command "compiz --replace" to Main Menu-->System-->Preferences-->Startup Applications but when i run it in terminal it says:

PC:~$ compiz --replace
compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png

then hangs there and i have to use ctrl c to kill the proccess, which then messes up the top of my windows,but can be fixed by using Main Menu-->Other-->Compiz or starting compiz-fusion icon right clicking and selecting reload window manager

disabling skydome has no apparent effect on this message

i do have wallpaper plugin under utilities enabled, not sure if anyone else does

and i found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/549950 but i have no idea how to "apply the attached patch" as it says

realzippy
November 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM
"....but i have no idea how to "apply the attached patch" as it says."

Open cube.xml:

gksudo gedit /usr/share/compiz/cube.xml

Search for the line:

<default><value>/usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png</value></default>

and change it to:

<default><value>/usr/share/compiz/fusioncap.png</value></default>

Close the file saving changes,done.

Edit:
If there is now an ugly shadow on the cube's top,edit the fusioncap.png file e.g. with gimp:

gksudo gimp /usr/share/compiz/fusioncap.png
Hit "edit",choose "clear",
hit "file",choose "save"....

JaymoS
December 1st, 2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks realzippy that did it! :D it still hangs in terminal, do you know why that is? is it just because compiz is still running?

realzippy
December 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks realzippy that did it! :D it still hangs in terminal, do you know why that is? is it just because compiz is still running?

...what do you mean "hangs" ?
Run:

compiz --replace &

instead of

compiz --replace

JaymoS
December 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
i meant after i run

compiz --replacethe text insertion point indicator just blinks indefinitely but running

compiz --replace &works, it displays

~$ compiz --replace &
[1] 2279then returns to the shell prompt which allows me to exit terminal without messing up compiz

rebeccabunz
September 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks RealZippy I tried this and it worked great. I am officially in love with ubuntu forums :)