PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fixing xorg.conf through a live CD after 9.04 upgrade

alfachino
May 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I just upgraded to 9.04 and, no surprise, it did not go smoothly. It seems everything installed OK, but the graphics are not working and so I cannot boot. I tried booting from the LiveCD and everything works just fine. I am just unsure about how to use the info provided in the xorg.conf file during the live session in my normal session when I try to boot from disc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chellrose
May 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Boot into recovery mode, and select "drop to root shell". Then:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

If you have the xorg.conf from the Live CD saved, say, on a USB stick, then you can just copy it directly (assuming the computer has detected your USB stick on boot into recovery mode):

cp /media/disk/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If that doesn't work, worst-case scenario you can edit the xorg.conf file by hand:

pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Make sure it contains exactly what's in the one from the CD, and then type Ctrl+X, Enter to save the file and exit. Reboot into normal mode.

Alternatively, there is a way to get X to generate a new version of that file for you, but from what you've described it sounds as though the X-generated version is what's causing the problem in the first place.