PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] General Questions on Intrepid>Jaunty and the option of returning to Intrepid

jeremybentham
May 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I upgraded to Jaunty from Intrepid. Intrepid worked fine I had no reason to upgrade other than newer must be better. Reading some of the comments here I am not so sure that that is true. I find Jaunty a bit more modern looking...well, the ubuntu logo is.
On the downside my video doesn't seem to work. Every time I launch an .avi file (mostly from my extensive collection of LOST episodes) player appears briefly (movieplayer and vlc) before shutting down with no warning message. The problem happened around the time of the upgrade....but I cannot be 100% sure, just 99% that it directly followed the upgrade.

Is this related to the Intel driver incompatibility I have read about?
What I need to know as a NON-TECHNICAL user is
1) Can I fix this without a million lines of code input into the terminal?
2) If not will the 'ubuntu people' fix this soon via an update?
3) If not I will go back to Intrepid....
I'm assuming I will have to do a fresh install (or can I somehow 'downdate'?) -a bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

If I do this I have noticed that, for example, Evolution has a newer version on Jaunty, if I back this up will I still be able to import settings back to Intrepid.

Another couple of general questions:
1) I have read that a fresh install is always better than updating through update manager. Can someone explain why or point me to an article.
2) I have heard that there is a way of partitioning your home folder somehow so that you can do a fresh install leaving your documents untouched. Any pointers on this subject also welcome.

73ckn797
May 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Another couple of general questions:
1) I have read that a fresh install is always better than updating through update manager. Can someone explain why or point me to an article.
2) I have heard that there is a way of partitioning your home folder somehow so that you can do a fresh install leaving your documents untouched. Any pointers on this subject also welcome.

The fresh install gives you a completely "new" installation without any left over stuff cluttering up the system.

Go here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome to learn about making a separate /home partition.

jerrrys
May 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
in answer to your last question...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1057608

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

jeremybentham
May 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the links guys.

Regarding my video problem, is this likely to be something that will be sorted out via update or is there something I can do without sticking Intrepid back on ?

Are there any tests that will confirm the problem? (terminal: I am limited to cut paste and report what I see)

jeremybentham
May 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Still wondering if there is anything I can do about the video problem and whether it is possible to back up evolution on Jaunty and import it into Intrepid.

73ckn797
May 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Regarding Evolution, you should be able to run the back-up feature and just copy the create file to insert into your new install.

jeremybentham
May 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Cheers.That's good, I was worried as Jaunty is evolution 2.26.1 whereas Intrepid is 2.24.1.

Well I guess I'll have to do the downgrade unless someone can get my video working on Jaunty.:rolleyes: