PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password needed to run Ubuntu 9.04 from cd

Washen
May 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
As a complete newbie, I want to take a look at Ubuntu 9.04 before deciding to install by booting from cd with the option 'do not change anything in your computer'.

After a long wait during startup, to my amazement the program asks for a user name and password. I can't find any documentation on booting from cd on the site. No password anywhere, except instructions on how to create one during install, which I don't want to do.

In my opinion, if you want to convert Windows users to Linux you need to tighten up this option to boot from cd with a little more user-friendly guidance. Also, from browsing these forums, I gather that using Ubuntu is still a lot of command line work. That doesn't really appeal to me. But I still want to take a peek at a working version of it.

So can anyone help me find a working username and password? I've already tried the obvious things like leaving it blank, Ubuntu, Admin, User, etc.

Thanks!

lisati
May 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Does the screen show a timer counting down, with a message along the lines of "in x seconds system will log in as user ubuntu"? If so, what happens if you wait?

EDIT: I've had a LiveCD put up a request for a username/password a couple of times, usually with an auto-login timer. Waiting for the timer to reach zero and for auto-login to kick in has usually worked. If memory serves correctly, the user name is "ubuntu" (with a small U, and no quotes, can't remember the password, possibly blank)

clive littlewood
May 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hi

You don't need documentation to boot from a live cd !!!

When you get to the options just use the option to install without altering anything and it will boot up without a password.

If yours is not doing this I would suggest a faulty disc.

Did you mem test the disc ? Did you choose to check disc after first boot ?

Clive

cjv8888
May 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I had this happened too with a faulty boot up of the live CD. However, on retry with no errors, the timer appeared to boot into the live CD as user.

Washen
May 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the quick replies!

As for an auto-login timer: haven't seen one yet.

As for the possibility of a faulty cd: could be the case here, I got some error messages while booting, but I ignored them because it seemed to be booting up alright. I'll try to find out what the error messages say during startup and/or burning the iso image again and checking the disc.

cariboo
May 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I just got my copy of Jaunty from Shipit, it asks for a paswword, but there is an autologin after 10 seconds if you don't do anything, if you try to enter a usernam and password, and fail the timer resets to 30 seconds.