PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to get sound working in Openbox on 9.04

Pixel
May 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
On a fresh install I went ahead and setup Openbox, from the get go I hadn o sound whatsoever, so I tried to load gnome-settings-daemon to see if that would get it working, and I got this error:

kyager@mobilebox:~$ gnome-settings-daemon

(process:3812): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3813): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3813): WARNING **: Could not acquire name
I also tried alsamixer and got this:

kyager@mobilebox:~$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
And aplay -l

kyager@mobilebox:~$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:217: no soundcards found...
However, if I run alsamixer or aply -l as root they run just fine and show everything as it should be.

I'm running this on a Lenovo IdeaPad y430, everything works perfectly in gnome on this same user and machine, but not in openbox.

octobuntu
June 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm a total openbox noob,

octobuntu
June 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
:D I'm a total openbox noob, in fact I'm looking for the same answer so forgive me if I sound stupid, but shouldn't you just sudo apt-get install alsa-utils again?

munozga
July 19th, 2009, 02:23 AM
@Pixel: Your command-line usage was on the right track to finding out the problem. I immediately noticed in your output that this was a permissions problem.

I confirmed that I in fact did not have permissions to read or write to the sound card as my normal USER by running
ls -l /dev/snd/*. I was not part of the `audio' group (
grep audio /etc/group). So here's how to add yourself to the audio group without destroying any of the other group settings for your user. Simply do this as root:

# usermod -aG audio USER

Now, be sure to include the -a switch, because then this command appends your name to the audio group, otherwise this command would remove you from all of your existing groups and adding only to the audio group (probably unleashing major Ubuntu fu on your system).

You must log out and log back in for group settings to take effect.

This got sound to work with openbox on my system. Enjoy.

~sHyLoCk~
July 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM
gnome-settings-daemon isn't there by default in openbox! Are you using it with gnome?

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
@Pixel: Your command-line usage was on the right track to finding out the problem. I immediately noticed in your output that this was a permissions problem.

I confirmed that I in fact did not have permissions to read or write to the sound card as my normal USER by running
ls -l /dev/snd/*. I was not part of the `audio' group (
grep audio /etc/group). So here's how to add yourself to the audio group without destroying any of the other group settings for your user. Simply do this as root:

# usermod -aG audio USER

Now, be sure to include the -a switch, because then this command appends your name to the audio group, otherwise this command would remove you from all of your existing groups and adding only to the audio group (probably unleashing major Ubuntu fu on your system).

You must log out and log back in for group settings to take effect.

This got sound to work with openbox on my system. Enjoy.

Thanks for this, sorted out my openbox sound on Acer Aspire One. it worked fine in CLI mode, though?