PDA

View Full Version : booting from a livecd without burning...

Specialsauce
January 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM
i need to figure out if its possible to boot from a livecd without burning it...

erikpiper
January 12th, 2006, 04:07 AM
????????????

Confused...

Is this a joke?

Specialsauce
January 12th, 2006, 04:13 AM
i didnt realize my question was THAT stupid :'(

erikpiper
January 12th, 2006, 04:16 AM
No. I think I am just confuzed.....

I think you can boot into linux under another OS.. See DSL... BUT a live CD is a ISO (Disk image..)

Specialsauce
January 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM
yes, i have an iso, ut no blank CDs. i want to boot from the ISO... is it possible to like mount it or somethin and then boot from the mounted location...?

erikpiper
January 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Mabe if you could get the computer to boot from USB or something...

I thought you meant on other computers...... Mabe you can put it on a spare HD and use grub.......... I really dont know how.. :(

BSDFreak
January 12th, 2006, 04:29 AM
You'll need to boot a kernel off of your hard drive (or floppy) and have the mount tools on there so you can mount it as a loopback device. I'd extract it instead and boot it with Grub/Lilo.

Burgundavia
January 12th, 2006, 05:09 AM
This is actually quite simple, provided you know what are you are doing or being flamed. Basically you need Qemu and a whole lot of RAM. Qemu is a disc emulator, similar to VMware but open source. It can be installed out of the ubuntu repos, in universe.

Then head to the command line and type "qemu -cdrom YOURLIVECD.iso"

That should do it.

Corey

Specialsauce
January 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM
This is actually quite simple, provided you know what are you are doing or being flamed. Basically you need Qemu and a whole lot of RAM. Qemu is a disc emulator, similar to VMware but open source. It can be installed out of the ubuntu repos, in universe.

Then head to the command line and type "qemu -cdrom YOURLIVECD.iso"

That should do it.

Corey
thank you