PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL please help

bubuzzz
May 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hi all,

I tried to install openGL in my laptop (ubuntu 8.04, inspiron 1420n with nvidia geforce 8400M GS) to complete my assignment. During the installtion it required to install these libraries:

libgl1-mesa-dev
libosmesa6
mesa-common-dev

and also required to remove these libraries:

libgl1-mesa-dri
ubuntu-desktop
nvidia-glx-new :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I didn't realize that it will removed the nvidia-glx-new (how stupid iam )coz at that time, i was doing another assignment. So, after i restart laptop, ubuntu doesn't detect my graphics card and of course it display at the low graphics mode. :mad::mad:

I tried to uninstall all the openGL lib and re- install nvidia-glx-new, libgl1.... again but it doesn't work. Everytime the laptop restart, it give the error message "ubuntu can not detect your graphics card and driver...". I know that this is a known issue of glx-new but cannot find the solution coz i am in week 13 of the semester, lot of stuff to do now. So, anyone, please help coz i really really need my laptop at this time. Thank you very much

alwayshere
May 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM
maybe try

sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx-new

bubuzzz
May 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
it doesn't work:icon_frown:

jespdj
May 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
What do you mean with "it doesn't work"? The screenshot shows that the nVidia driver is activated as it should be?

bubuzzz
May 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
even the graphics card is enable, everytime i login to the system, i got the message "ubuntu is running the low-graphics mode...". And as you can see from the screenshot, it is in 800x600 screen resolution

jespdj
May 16th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Try deleting your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or rename it to something else) and run nvidia-xconfig, then log out and back in again.

bubuzzz
May 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
well, since i just discovered that dell just released the 9.04 dell-ubuntu iso, i already format my laptop and everything is fine now. Driver 180.44 for nvidia graphics card make it run smoother and cooler than ever. However, i still want to install openGL on ubuntu instead of window xp (virtualbox). Can anyone show me another solution for openGL installation? The only way i knew is installing libgl1-mesa-dev which can ruin my graphics card again. Thanks

bubuzzz
May 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
ok. I can use freeglut with code block now. So cool :D