PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I upgrade to 9.04

SVEN1
May 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 is running fine, what advantage do I have if I upgrade??

buzzmandt
May 16th, 2009, 02:24 AM
advantage? probably none except to have the latest and greatest with the chance that something will break.

I did an upgrade, not clean install and it went perfect on my acer aspire 3680. Only issues is it runs a little warmer but not hot (from what i've read that should be taken care of soon) and video is not as good but is good enough for what I do (integrated intel i945) (also to be fixed soon). As far as I know both of these are kernel issues, not ubuntu issues. My lappy still does what I need it to do just fine.

I would probably recommend waiting until some kinks are ironed out.

prgsdw
May 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
9.04 seems snappier to me than 8.10 did - might just be my perception. However, I've had intermittent odd video issues and had I not had to replace a hard disk, I probably wouldn't have upgraded honestly.

Although others may disagree, there doesn't appear to be a single compelling reason to upgrade other than if you want (since you said all is working fine for you). Best either way...

jasonsjunk
May 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I agree with prgsdw 9.04 seems quicker and more responsive. I have been running 9.04 since the beta was release and I have had zero issues with it. I had a few minor ones in 8.10 but I do enjoy the MUCH faster boot times. File sharing also works better for me in 9.04 than it did in 8.10.

buzzmandt
May 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I agree, it is snappier, and has some nice little added features. If it's not a laptop AND it's doesn't have intel video I'd say go for it. Final say is yours though.
(I like it)

ScottMorris
May 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've been a longtime user and follower of Ubuntu :) and I stopped using it at 7.10 (my old comp died :()

I have been using it in VMs since so I can stay on top of what has been going on and I must say that 9.04 is quite snappy (as the others have mentioned). I recently acquired an older AMD Athlon 64 X2 and decided to turn it into a Media Centre PC for some fun.

I grabbed a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 amd64 and loaded 'er up. I was very impressed by the smoothness of the install and the clean feeling that was presented too me :D. I know in the past that some of the upgrades haven't been too impressive but I think this one is well worth using. It also allowed my nVidia GeForce 6100 to work properly where 8.10 didn't. But that is either here nor there.

I have never used a 64-bit OS as my main before because my hardware never let me, I have had excellent luck so far with the 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04. :D

cybrsaylr
May 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
9.04 32bit a bit quicker on my desktop. Did the online upgrade with no problems.

Put 9.04 64bit on my laptop and had a few problems with flash that were easily fixed. All runs well except for my fav browser Opera which still runs slow compared to how fast Opera was with 8.10 on this laptop. Firefox runs fine but I prefer Opera which was faster. 9.04 64b is quicker and boots a bit faster than 8.10 32b did.

This was my first attempt at a 64bit version of Ubuntu. Gave it a try because my laptop is a Toshiba AMD dual core.

BobbyS
May 16th, 2009, 05:17 AM
If you have an older ATI card you may want to look at some of the threads on that.

SVEN1
May 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
advantage? probably none except to have the latest and greatest with the chance that something will break.

I did an upgrade, not clean install and it went perfect on my acer aspire 3680. Only issues is it runs a little warmer but not hot (from what i've read that should be taken care of soon) and video is not as good but is good enough for what I do (integrated intel i945) (also to be fixed soon). As far as I know both of these are kernel issues, not ubuntu issues. My lappy still does what I need it to do just fine.

I would probably recommend waiting until some kinks are ironed out.

I'm running a Biostar T-power I45 chipset motherboard with Ati x1900xtx video card.