PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Text garbled after a while

daonaob
May 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hope this is the right place.
I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a rather old Dell Latitude C400 and it works well aside from the text getting garbled after using it for a while. It seems to affect certain letters, and all their occurrences. Logging out and in restores the fonts, but only for a while. I also tried changing the font rendering, but it didn't seem to help. I'm rather noobish so I don't know if there's a really simple fix.

Attached is a picture of the problem.

days_of_ruin
May 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Hope this is the right place.
I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a rather old Dell Latitude C400 and it works well aside from the text getting garbled after using it for a while. It seems to affect certain letters, and all their occurrences. Logging out and in restores the fonts, but only for a while. I also tried changing the font rendering, but it didn't seem to help. I'm rather noobish so I don't know if there's a really simple fix.

Attached is a picture of the problem.

Does it happen to applications that come with ubuntu ie file manager, rhythmbox ?

daonaob
May 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
It affects all programs, including File manager and Rhytmbox. I also noticed bugs appearing in Nibbles and also the top bar, as can be seen in the picture.

mccreasw
May 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
My C400 behaves the same way. This has been a problem with all of the Ubuntu builds I have tried. The BEST performance was with Xubuntu 8.04. The Xubuntu 9.04 gets worse faster that the older 8.04 version... Oddly, with browsers, Opera held up better and longer that Firefox. Strange.

I want to use Ubuntu (well, Xubuntu – Ubuntu would not boot with 8.04 or 9.04…Xubuntu will), but with the deteriorating text, I will have to ~gulp~ dump Ubuntu and go back to ~~ oh please help me~~~ Windows XP.

I hope someone has an answer out there!

biscuitoche
May 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have the same problem on a rather old desktop dell computer with an intel graphic chip.
I have installed the graphic drivers from the PPA repo to get full 3D acceleration.
Memtest 86+ doesn't detect any problem with RAM, and this problem mainly appears on firefox after I used it for a while.

Peter K Nicol
June 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Please see my thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=60117190

I seem to have the same problem but, unfortunately, no resolution. I do have another machine with the almost the same setup that doesn't show any signs of the problem.

Peter K Nicol
July 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
The solution is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1204733

fadli228
October 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
I have the same problem with my dell latitude c400 display. Resolution display is 1024 x 768, but you can see my problem..... Refresh rate is not active. Please help me......

Peter K Nicol
October 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Have you tried following the link in the reply above? You do seem to have the same problem.