PDA

View Full Version : I got a bad grade. Options?

dragos240
May 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
=========UPDATE=========
For another reason, please excuse my absence.

RiceMonster
May 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just tell him. He'll be more angry if you lie to him. I know thats what the case was with my parents. Lying to your parents is never a good idea.

lisati
May 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
We had a brief disuccion at the "lisati household". Our suggestion is to be honest about it and get the fireworks over and done with. It might be difficult, but that's better than having your artistic efforts backfire on you later.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I got a bad grade in science. I don't want my dad to be mad at me, should I just tell my dad? Should I try to gimp the progress report and reprint it? I really don't want my dad to get mad at me, I can fix it if I try really hard. I will do this, but I also edited my report a week ago because I had a few other grades I wasn't proud of. What should I do. I want to be honest, and tell him everything, but I'm not to sure what he'll think. Ideas?

A child would hide something like that. Time to man up, buddy.

Joeb454
May 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Tell him. As lisati said, better to get the drama out of the way, it's better to tell the truth :)

MikeTheC
May 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
@ OP:

I was going to reply with something humorous until I read your post. Lying to your folks is not cool. Not at all. Why would you think of damaging or destroying your personal integrity like that? School grades are not worth that. Besides, once you lie (especially if you get away with it) it becomes easier the next time, and the time after that, and so on. It's kind of like that old line from Star Wars about "once you star down the dark path..." only it's really, honestly very true.

Get your head in the game on this one, man. Don't waste your life at school; you've got to be there, so make the most of it and make something of yourself. We don't need another sad excuse of a failed student in this world. And, if you need help, then you should ask for that help. Look on this as an opportunity to make yourself a better person, and learn to accept that, as awkward or embarrassing as it may seem (especially right now), often times we humans learn best from our mistakes.

myusername
May 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
A child would hide something like that. Time to man up, buddy.

+1

what was the grade?

dragos240
May 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
We had a brief disuccion at the "lisati household". Our suggestion is to be honest about it and get the fireworks over and done with. It might be difficult, but that's better than having your artistic efforts backfire on you later.

Yeah, good idea. I'm going to call him up. I might be gone for a little bit, so bye!

sailthesea
May 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
You can't hide the truth from your Dad If you try it only makes things worse when he finds out in the end And he WILL find out
Its only a poor grade and if you know you can do better so does he;)

PurposeOfReason
May 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
First quarter at college, I got a 1.63 overall GPA. The classes weren't hard, I just didn't care and never showed up. Missed a few tests, etc. Naturally, my parents asked what I got, I told them. Were they mad? Not really, as long as I could pick it up. IMO, if anything, a bad grade makes you work that much harder. For the record, I recovered just fine.

You make mistakes, you live and learn. Man up and tell him.

Regenweald
May 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
In the grand scheme of life, a bad grade at a young age is nothing. Don't turn yourself into a cheat. Take it on the chest and study harder next time. I'm concerned that this may be a habit of yours, rid yourself of it now.

Edit: saw your last post. You did good man.

mikedpirone
May 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I hate to say this but you should really tell your dad. I went through this same situation and trust me, it's much better to tell him. If he finds out afterwards you will have lost his trust and that's something that is very hard to gain back. I wish I was more honest with my father in the past, because no matter how mad he would have gotten he would have tried to help me out. Instead I would hide things from him and wind up in a worse situation than if I just told him. It's really taught me that honesty is truely the best policy.

dragos240
May 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

swoll1980
May 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Study harder! Then you don't have to worry about it.

dragos240
May 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Actually it's just getting the assignment on time that's the problem. It's also about a friend that I stick to when I do work, his name is procrastination.

Marlonsm
May 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Tell him. Sooner or later he will find out. I'm also a student, I know what I'm saying (although I have very few bad grades, I don't hide them when I get one).

dragos240
May 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Okay, good news and bad news:

Good news:
I got this guilt out of my system and told my dad what I did.

Bad news:
Until june 23 no computer for me :| Well.... he was more upset that a week ago I printed a fake progress report, because I lied. I deserved it :|. Oh well..... I look forward to seeing you guys then. But until then bye ):P !

connorh123
May 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Okay, good news and bad news:

Good news:
I got this guilt out of my system and told my dad what I did.

Bad news:
Until june 23 no computer for me

:eek:

sports fan Matt
May 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Wow...best of luck!

swoll1980
May 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
actually it's just getting the assignment on time that's the problem. It's also about a friend that i stick to when i do work, his name is procrastination.

lisati
May 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Procrastination, huh? I'll tell you tomorrow.
Apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

:p:p:p;):):):)

Rainstride
May 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I got a bad grade in science. I don't want my dad to be mad at me, should I just tell my dad? Should I try to gimp the progress report and reprint it? I really don't want my dad to get mad at me, I can fix it if I try really hard. I will do this, but I also edited my report a week ago because I had a few other grades I wasn't proud of. What should I do. I want to be honest, and tell him everything, but I'm not to sure what he'll think. Ideas?

when it comes to grades you can NEVER win with a lie. just tell him. its much less painless than if he finds out you lied to him. or went to some crazy extreme to cover it up.

sailthesea
May 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Well faking a report would have got me suspended and and probably expelled when I was at school Good thing your Dads so cool I know I wouldn't be!

doas777
May 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Ok man, I'm making an assumption of your age/lifestyle, so take this for what it's worth:

if your grades are still part of his remit, then tell him and get it over with.
To be honest, in a couple weeks all will be forgotten, and in 10 years, when you have real dilemas, you'll look back at this and laugh (sheepishly). this part of your life is important for what is to come, not for what you're doing right now.

just don't put yourself in the position I did, focusing on the then, and in the process making my future harder to achieve. now i'm where i want to be, but it took me 10 years longer than it needed to (and if I had know what I know about IT now in 1998, I'd be a rich man right now).

good luck

WatchingThePain
May 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
He will find out anyway at parents evening so put your books down the back of your trousers.

hanzomon4
May 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
He will find out anyway at parents evening so put your books down the back of your trousers.

Gross, they reuse those books!!! anyway... Where can I get those Ubuntu Converse

mamamia88
May 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM
trust me it's not the end of the world.

WatchingThePain
May 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Gross, they reuse those books!!! anyway... Where can I get those Ubuntu Converse

The Connies are exclusively made on cloud nine by my own fair hands (Gimp to be precise).
Hence they do not as such exist in reality.
I kinda hope that Ubuntu might actually produce them one day.
I must also congratulate you on your good taste.

Kareeser
May 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I echo many of the statements here tonight.

Back when I was a littl'un, I stressed like mad over the fact that my interim progress report in maths said I was failing, but now that I look back on it, it's small peanuts compared to the stuff I have to deal with today.

Never lie, it always comes back to bite you in the behind. I hid my report card once, and told my parents that they never gave me one (yes, I was bad at lying... how did you know?). They ended up calling up the school and getting a copy themselves.

To man up to your mistakes makes you a real man, and gives you the life lesson to learn to be a better man tomorrow.

To cheat is to convince yourself that you can proceed along the same lackadaisical path with no punishment, when you know all too well that there is, and it's coming.

In the end, you're only accountable to yourself, and even if your parents buy the white lie, you can't lie to yourself.

dragos240
May 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Hey guys ! I'm back, wow it's june 23rd already? No just kidding, my dad seemed to be annoyed with the fact that I lied to him, but I said that I'd work really hard, I got all my homework done, and all late homework, and makeup, et cetera. Since I had nothing to do I told him I was going to read my book (Inkheart, which is really good so far.) But it seems he got over it, so he told me to have fun and play on the computer. Go figure! Well anyways, I'm going to be spending more time on homework and less on the forums, 300 something posts is good enough for now.

Groucho Marxist
May 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM

It takes more courage to own up to a mistake than it does to continue a lie. Sincerely let him know that you did not perform to the best of your abilities and falsified documents regarding said work. Let him know that what you did was wrong, that you were not proud of what you did, and that you wish to make this a learning opportunity to prevent this from happening again.

dragos240
May 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM
It takes more courage to own up to a mistake than it does to continue a lie. Sincerely let him know that you did not perform to the best of your abilities and falsified documents regarding said work. Let him know that what you did was wrong, that you were not proud of what you did, and that you wish to make this a learning opportunity to prevent this from happening again.

Done :)

neo_1in
May 16th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hmmm, never got bad marks in school. College! well thats a whole other story.
But, you definitely did the right thing by telling your parents. Say the truth and fall on the sword proudly. Trust me, bad grades or not, your parents will always find a way to kick your butt, always! :P

dragos240
May 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Heheheh..

ulfj
May 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Altho I didn't read past the 1rst page all I have to say is DON"T lie or try to cover it up.It will only make matters much worse, and regaining trust after that will be difficult at best.Take these "words of wisdom" from a former problem child.

hanzomon4
May 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Telling the truth will always profit you more then a lie. Trust me I have confessed to much worse... much worse

hyperdude111
May 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Just think to yourself, he may shout but what can he actually do? nothing. Just laugh at him in your head while he shouts. what i do.

zika
May 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Just think to yourself, he may shout but what can he actually do? nothing. Just laugh at him in your head while he shouts. what i do.
save this post and read it again once You have a child of Your own... :) You will laugh at Yourself then ... in Your head of course ... :)

lisati
May 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM

It might be a good idea to keep the laughter in your head, just in case it's seen as disrespectful. "Mrs Lisati" sometimes laughs out loud when I'm throwing a wobbly about something that has annoyed me, particularly when my ranting is making her feel uncomfortable. The laughter doesn't always go down too well....

starcannon
May 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Honesty is the best policy, and I think as you go through life the thing you will find is, that one should only lie in order to save the feelings of others if a needless truth would needlessly grieve them seriously, or if it will save a life. I think you will find that those occasions are extremely rare, and find yourself fortunate if you never have to lie for either of those reasons. Lying over something petty or even a major screw up on your part in order to attempt avoiding discomfort on your part is weak, lame, and cowardly; as well as pointless, I think you'll find that the more you lie, the harder it is to come forward, and the more uncomfortable you'll be around those you have lied to. You'll feel as though you have unfinished business, and will even find yourself avoiding people you really like, or really love, none of this is good for you, or for your friends and family.

As a Dad, I can tell you that all other problems aside; lying is the one thing that severely disappoints me, and angers me. My kids attempt it from time to time, and when they get caught (not if), the punishment for lying is ALWAYS way worse than the punishment for what they were lying about. My disappointment in them for lying is much more profound than any disappointment I would have in them for a bad grade, or whatever else they may be hiding.

Eisenwinter
May 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Until june 23 no computer for me
Why June 23rd? what's so special about that date?

dragos240
May 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM
The date my school year is over.

CJ Master
May 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
(Inkheart, which is really good so far.)

I love that book! :D

dragos240
May 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I love that book! :D

yeah I know! A book about books, what could be better!?

[moar offtopic]is that a phoenix wright avatar i see?[/moar offtopic]

CJ Master
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 AM
yeah I know! A book about books, what could be better!?

[moar offtopic]is that a phoenix wright avatar i see?[/moar offtopic]

Hehe yea. All it needs is pop culture references :P

[moar offtopic]Yup! =D The world need more Phoenix Wright. :)[/moar offtopic]

dragos240
May 17th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I like phoenix wrong though :p

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 03:00 AM

no time like the present to be upfront and honest.

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Lol my school has instant email and rss grade reporting, so as soon as a teacher enters a grade below a set percentage my parents know. :)

save this post and read it again once You have a child of Your own... :) You will laugh at Yourself then ... in Your head of course ... :)
:lolflag:

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Lol my school has instant email and rss grade reporting, so as soon as a teacher enters a grade below a set percentage my parents know. :)

:lolflag:

that's actually very cool

Mr. Picklesworth
May 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM
That sounds like a terrifying way to encourage overzealous, overprotective parenting.

earthpigg
May 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
murder.

anaconda
May 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Glad to hear that you told, and weren't punished too harshly...

But To the original guestion..

I couldn't have given you any advice based on the limited information you gave, because any advice would have depended heavily on what kind of a person your dad is.
If you would have to be affraid of your physical safety I would say keep lyin, and when you get caught RUN.
(I once knew a guy, who would possibly have been injured badly if he would have confessed what he did...)

if not then admitting the lie would be smarter.

Mulenmar
May 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Ok, this is the ultimate, be-all, end-all guide to fixing a bad grade.

Study, ask your teachers (or other teachers that teach the same thing with whom you get along with better), and own up to your parents.

Put those in any order ye wish.

dragos240
May 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
update. goodbye!

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
update. goodbye!

Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most. . . . . human.

lukjad
May 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ok, this is the ultimate, be-all, end-all guide to fixing a bad grade.

Study, ask your teachers (or other teachers that teach the same thing with whom you get along with better), and own up to your parents.

Put those in any order ye wish.

That's a very good way of saying it.

update. goodbye!

Bye, see you later, I hope.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
=========UPDATE=========
For another reason, please excuse my absence.

wait,what

dragos240
May 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
at least for the rest of the night I get to be here :D

pbpersson
May 23rd, 2009, 02:35 AM
I have met many people for whom lying is a way of life.

They show a different version of themselves to different people, but if they meet people from different sections of their life at one time - perhaps in a shopping mall - they don't know which version of themselves to be.

They also start losing track of which lies they told to which people.

Your lies will always find you out and people will think less of you because of it. I discovered this many decades ago.

It is easier just to always be yourself. I think it requires much less work. :)

pbpersson
May 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most. . . . . human.

If you are going to throw in a quote like that, I will offer an opinion. I really, really wish that Kirstie Alley had stayed in those movies. I loved her performance in the first one SO much.