PDA

View Full Version : Linsux.org Members Visiting UF

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
http://linsux.org/index.php/topic,1053.msg9163.html#msg9163

Some of the Linsux.org community will be here at UF for the next few days to help Linux users and chat with the UF userbase. This thread serves as an introduction for our members. Please feel free to ask questions, our members will be arriving at different times.

Hi from the Linsux.org Community ):P

RiceMonster
May 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
...here come the angry anti-microsoft arguments

I enjoyed reading some of the stuff on your site anyway.

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Most people at UF are quite stupid, though. So debating them is pretty easy, I've tested this theory out and it holds true every time.

*sigh* Hello ):P

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
...here come the angry anti-microsoft arguments

I know, right? This is going to be fun watching people get angry because of a website they aren't forced to look at.

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Well whats the point posting on a forum related to something you hate anyhow?

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM

We don't hate Linux. The point is that we're more or less bored and we decided to come here and try to help the community by giving some support.

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM

For fun, I guess? Kind of like posting on Linsux. It's fun.

Icehuck
May 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM

It was my impression that their site was satire and they don't really hate linux? Or am I completely off base here?

If they are willing to help people with their problems, more power to them.

-grubby
May 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It was my impression that their site was satire and they don't really hate linux

We don't hate Linux.

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM

It's a shame many will either not see that or ignore it.

days_of_ruin
May 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Announcing you are going to visit a website? EPIC!!! Twitter-poo much?

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
We don't hate Linux. The point is that we're more or less bored and we decided to come here and try to help the community by giving some support.

Um...We're being Punk'd right? Ashton where are you, get your *** out here you little booger!

Icehuck
May 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM

I didn't get that far before I posted my reply.

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Um...We're being Punk'd right? Ashton where are you, get your *** out here you little booger!

He's too busy making crappy Nikon commercials.

diwas
May 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Some of the Linsux.org community will be here at UF for the next few days to help Linux users and chat with the UF userbase. This thread serves as an introduction for our members. Please feel free to ask questions, our members will be arriving at different times.

What exactly do you plan to "help" linux users?

Most people at UF are quite stupid, though. So debating them is pretty easy, I've tested this theory out and it holds true every time.

From the link posted by OP.
Good job. So when are you going to publish a thesis on that?

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
What exactly do you plan to "help" linux users?

Offering support and answers, among other things. Lots of stuff will come up.

I think we've covered that statement quite a bit. Check out our news section.

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM

And so it begins...

:popcorn:

chucky chuckaluck
May 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Announcing you are going to visit a website? EPIC!!! Twitter-poo much?

if i'm not mistaken, i think they were even having people sign up to visit. talk about organized. phew!

Sealbhach
I'm heading over to the Linsuxsux forums, to help them out. ):P

diwas
And so it begins...

:popcorn:
Lol sorry I didn't mean to start.
I am keeping quiet now.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
if i'm not mistaken, i think they were even having people sign up to visit. talk about organized. phew!

Pretty much. We sent out emails to our members asking to participate and we've had this in planning since the 6th of may.

We try our best to be organized.

Joeb454
May 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
As long as you're within the CoC, as you said in your thread, I don't forsee this being an issue :)

chucky chuckaluck
May 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Pretty much. We sent out emails to our members asking to participate and we've had this in planning since the 6th of may.

We try our best to be organized.

wow! that is organized. kinda edging out the 'magic of the moment', but for organization, it's probably worth it.

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
He's too busy making crappy Nikon commercials.

:lolflag:

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
As long as you're within the CoC, as you said in your thread, I don't forsee this being an issue :)

If you find that one of our members is violating your COC, PM me and I will remove them from the list of participants.

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
If you find that one of our members is violating your COC, PM me and I will remove them from the list of participants.

Where are the threads going to be posted at?

Giant Speck
May 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Where are the threads going to be posted at?

I don't think any threads are going to be created besides this one.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Been very constructive so far.
So glad I stoppped by!

Itchy fingers....

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Been very constructive so far.
So glad I stoppped by!

Itchy fingers....

You seem familiar, have we met?

Joeb454
May 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Will do :) Hopefully it won't come to that though

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
You seem familiar, have we met?

Yes.

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Some information for our Linsux visitors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRysEmWq04#t=0m38s

hyperdude111
May 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I quote from their thread page...

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Yes.

Do tell.

Some information for our Linsux visitors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRysEmWq04#t=0m38s

Seriously, what the heck are you trying to say?

Just like the other 5 people before you!

Icehuck
May 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM

You should read the rest of the thread before posting. Keeps you from looking stupid. I should have taken my own advice earlier. :p

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just saying hello, here. I'm one of the admins over at Linsux.org coming to spread good cheer and Christmas greetings...wait, no, that's something entirely different.

I, personally, just like good, healthy and intelligent debate. I think some of the best things happen because of that type of debate. I keep hoping to get into intelligent conversations over at Linsux.org, but, unfortunately, that hasn't really been the case, yet.

But, I also like to help people fix computer stuff so they surf the interwebz and be productive, regardless of OS. Anyway, I'm glad to be here.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I, personally, just like good, healthy and intelligent debate. I think some of the best things happen because of that type of debate. I keep hoping to get into intelligent conversations over at Linsux.org, but, unfortunately, that hasn't really been the case, yet.

And most of the people who do come in to debate are from here, what does that say?

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
And most of the people who do come in to debate are from here, what does that say?

I just want to add that this is what disappoints me the most. I love intelligent debate. Everyone learns from the experience.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Please feel free to choose a topic of conversation, that will allow this thread to stay within the CoC of course.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Please feel free to choose a topic of conversation, that will allow this thread to stay within the CoC of course.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7285586#post7285586

crl0901
May 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Oooh, I got one: The pros of FreeBSD over Ubuntu (or other Linux distros).

I'd actually be interested in reading this one, as I have limited FreeBSD experience/exposure.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Oooh, I got one: The pros of FreeBSD over Ubuntu (or other Linux distros).

I'd actually be interested in reading this one, as I have limited FreeBSD experience/exposure.

As my exposure to FreeBSd is limited, I would respectfully decline from debating such a topic as I feel I would not be able to make an informed comment. However, if a Linux/Ubuntu topic were to begin, then I believe the merits of such a debate would prove invigorating.

DeadSuperHero
May 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well, looks like the guys are here. If I had realized this were happening today, I would have come sooner!

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Well, looks like the guys are here. If I had realized this were happening today, I would have come sooner!

This is Sir Sane from Linsux.org. Just a clarification.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM
This is Sir Sane from Linsux.org. Just a clarification.

We know.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
We know.

You know.

Icehuck
May 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
We know.

I didn't know.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You know.

No, we as in the 3 guys sharing a few beers, writing code and reading UF!

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
No, we as in the 3 guys sharing a few beers, writing code and reading UF!

Drinking beers while writing code is the best!

chucky chuckaluck
May 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM

i reinstalled arch drunk last night, again. i think it makes me less fearful.

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM
You should read the rest of the thread before posting. Keeps you from looking stupid. I should have taken my own advice earlier. :p

Yeah I posted that quote first, hmph. :p

lisati
May 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
We know.

You know.

I didn't know.
Ou te iloa ("I don't know")

It helped to get me fired once - never looked back.

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ou te iloa ("I don't know")

It helped to get me fired once - never looked back.

lmao :D :p

mikewhatever
May 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
OK, how do I add the OP to the ignore list?

Edit: Done.

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
OK, how do I add the OP to the ignore list?

Edit: Done.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you wanted him on your ignore list?

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Out of curiosity, can I ask why you wanted him on your ignore list?

I can answer this one! Because he can't stand the fact that people might have differing views from his. Even though we came here to help and try to show we can be nice to the community, he can't accept the fact that not everyone who has a problem with Linux (or the community) is a troll.

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I can answer this one! Because he can't stand the fact that people might have differing views from his. Even though we came here to help and try to show we can be nice to the community, he can't accept the fact that not everyone who has a problem with Linux (or the community) is a troll.

Crap. I am a troll....but, seriously, folks. That's my first assumption, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Crap. I am a troll....but, seriously, folks. That's my first assumption, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe the world would be a better place if we all stuck our heads in the sand, like mikewhatever does. Or maybe not :)

Seaco
May 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
):P
I have a question! Is the problem Linux or the community?

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM

I would say (from a personal opinion) that it's both. But it's mostly the community.

chucky chuckaluck
May 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM

it's obviously the community. linux is just a kernel.

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I would say (from a personal opinion) that it's both. But it's mostly the community.

+1 Linux, as a piece of software, has its bugs and such, but the community's attitude towards Linux and other systems is the biggest issue.

One of the biggest issues is that the Linux extremists refuse to recognize the shortcomings of Linux. Without recognizing faults, they can't ever be fixed. For Linux to really move forward, all Linux users and devs have to recognize and acknowledge where Linux falls short. Only then can Linux move forward.

As an example, I present my years of experience. When I first started using Linux, devs and users were very open and honest about Linux shortcomings. What I saw was that, in a few short years, Linux development came in leaps and bounds. The last few years, however, it has slowed down and the gap between Linux and Windows or Mac is growing. Don't be ashamed to admit where Linux falls short. By doing so, Linux can grow and become a better system and finally be user-friendly enough for mass adoption.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
+1 Linux, as a piece of software, has its bugs and such, but the community's attitude towards Linux and other systems is the biggest issue.

One of the biggest issues is that the Linux extremists refuse to recognize the shortcomings of Linux. Without recognizing faults, they can't ever be fixed. For Linux to really move forward, all Linux users and devs have to recognize and acknowledge where Linux falls short. Only then can Linux move forward.

As an example, I present my years of experience. When I first started using Linux, devs and users were very open and honest about Linux shortcomings. What I saw was that, in a few short years, Linux development came in leaps and bounds. The last few years, however, it has slowed down and the gap between Linux and Windows or Mac is growing. Don't be ashamed to admit where Linux falls short. By doing so, Linux can grow and become a better system and finally be user-friendly enough for mass adoption.

I agree.

I would say Linux is the problem too because the way the community acts tends to hinder the ability to admit to and try to figure out how to fix these short comings.

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Well no one said Linux is perfect, no OS is perfect.
OSX can only be used legally on Apple Computers
Windows is riddled with security issues and the company behind it is so afraid of competition that it has to sue everything in site.
BSD is very stable but is more suited for servers, plus no flash support.
Linux is more then ready for the desktop but the desktop is not ready for linux.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Well no one said Linux is perfect, no OS is perfect.
OSX can only be used legally on Apple Computers
Windows is riddled with security issues and the company behind it is so afraid of competition that it has to sue everything in site.
BSD is very stable but is more suited for servers, plus no flash support.
Linux is more then ready for the desktop but the desktop is not ready for linux.

Well, I respectfully disagree with most of your post. But seeing as this topic serves a purpose that does not involve this subject, I don't think I'll bite.

I'm going to slow down now. I might check in a few times later tonight. Have fun guys.

bakedbeans4life
May 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
And if I put together a sight under the banner of "Micro$ux" (sorry for the $, I keep promising myself I will never use it), would you come and visit me?

ViperChief
May 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Again, you can use Flash with BSD.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
And if I put together a sight under the banner of "Micro$ux" (sorry for the $, I keep promising myself I will never use it), would you come and visit me?

I doubt you would have anything decent to say on it. It would probably just be you screaming about virues and other stuff that's not an issue as much as it used to be. So no.

gymophett
May 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Linux does fall short (software, gaming). Yeah, it has bugs. Like all operating systems. I just like Linux because it runs a lot better than Windows ever did on my computers, and it has never crashed on me before. When I was using Vista, I always got the BSOD, and my class computer got one today during a presentation.. I love the community here, it's awesome and so helpful. Ubuntu has worked out of the box for me on all computers, and uses way less physical memory. When in Vista. I had to connect to the internet through a cable, then go get all of my drivers, and restart after installing them. Which is a pain! Linux is stable, fast, and free. I love it.

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Again, you can use Flash with BSD.

In a roundabout way yes but its not as solid even as the linux version and even that isnt that good...
Bloody adobe.

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Absolutely, the main problems with Linux are things like wireless drivers, graphics cards, flash, perceived or actual lack of professional level applications and of course, games. All stuff that GNU/Linux devs can do little about without some cooperation.

It's probably true of BSD as well, although it wouldn't install on my laptop so I don't know for sure.;)

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Absolutely, the main problems with Linux are things like wireless drivers, graphics cards, flash, perceived or actual lack of professional level applications and of course, games. All stuff that GNU/Linux devs can do little about without some cooperation.

It's probably true of BSD as well, although it wouldn't install on my laptop so I don't know for sure.;)

Well truth be told BSD could easily surpass linux if given the chance, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.
Linux support is getting higher though, so maybe thats a good thing for BSD too.

kelvin spratt
May 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well I for 1 welcome you guys from Linsux this forum needs some life injected into it.

koenn
May 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
and you you base this assumption on your own prejudices about linux users ?

And you take linsux' assumptions for truth ?

dmn_clown
May 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I agree.

I would say Linux is the problem too because the way the community acts tends to hinder the ability to admit to and try to figure out how to fix these short comings.

It is not the Linux kernel's fault. It is just bits of code doing what a lot of someone's want it to do, it is also not the community's fault kernel modules change for no good reason causing previously stable configurations to no longer work on kernel upgrades. It is, however, the fault of the kernel devs that felt the need to do away with stable API's that don't bother to QA their work.

bakedbeans4life
May 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I doubt you would have anything decent to say on it. It would probably just be you screaming about virues and other stuff that's not an issue as much as it used to be. So no.

My bad. I got the wrong end of the stick, I should have visited your site and have done some reading before commenting. With a name like "Linsux", my conclusions were drawn from this alone (slaps self across wrists).

You advocate *BSD over Linux. Is it the licence or the over all OS you advocate (I will read further tomorrow?

Does not Microsoft favour the BSD licence. They have used BSD code in the past.

linsux
May 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
and you you base this assumption on your own prejudices about linux users ?

hahaha. Wow. He claimed that he wanted to set it so I was ignored. So I gave my opinion on why he did that. I have no idea what you're trying to go on about.

And you take linsux' assumptions for truth ?

Why not? The person wouldn't tell us why, he's just being thick headed.

sloggerkhan
May 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
This thread is boring.

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Does not Microsoft favour the BSD licence. They have used BSD code in the past.

They used BSD code for the TCP stack - if you have Windows XP installed and you do

C:\WINDOWS\system32>strings *.exe | grep -i university
in the console you get:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\finger.exe: @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.exe: @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nslookup.exe: @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rcp.exe: @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsh.exe: @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnetdhcp.exe: $Id: inet_addr.c,v 1.1.1.1 1999/11/22 00:57:05 edward Exp $ Copyright (c) 1983, 1990, 1993 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

http://www.mail-archive.com/full-disclosure@lists.grok.org.uk/msg00661.html

Some more on this here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/6/19/05641/7357

bapoumba
May 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm closing that for a minute, unless I forget to reopen or get asleep. We need to talk.

bapoumba
May 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thread reopened.

subdivision
May 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hello, userbase. :)

days_of_ruin
May 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Thread reopened.

What is this threads purpose? Close it again.

linsux
May 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM

I disagree. This thread is full of awesome (because it's full of Linsux members). It must stay open!

lisati
May 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Now that this thread has been reopened, let's see if we can keep this thread constructive and friendly.

linsux
May 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Now that this thread has been reopened, let's see if we can keep this thread constructive and friendly.

+1

Not everyone has stopped by yet. Some people are a little busy right now.

Kareeser
May 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Greetings? *raised eyebrow*

Healthy debate is great, but I can't help but think that there's some ulterior motive to your "arrival". I really don't think that so much fanfare and organization was needed... hundreds of people come here to "debate", some not to eloquently, but we don't hold a parade whenever they do :)

The only request that I make... is that in the process of helping people out on this forum, to try to limit your responses to queries you know you can answer. That last sentence goes out to anyone in this forum as well.

There have been too many times when I stumbled upon a thread that could have been solved with a single command or operation, only to find a helpful (but unfortunately, clueless) UF member telling them to replace hardware, install custom kernels, or remove important files. It all boils down to the hectic pace of the two main forums (Beginner and General), and the want to get a solution out quickly and move on to the next problem, without checking to see if it actually worked...

Tipped OuT
May 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
:popcorn: Did I miss anything good? Flame wars? Operating system bashing? :)

.Maleficus.
May 16th, 2009, 01:26 AM
So, is Linsux like /g/ with less dasturp trads and Linux users? It seems like a fun place :).

perlluver
May 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi Linsux members, enjoy your stay. Or at least try. ):P

collinp
May 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM

Healthy debate is great, but I can't help but think that there's some ulterior motive to your "arrival". I really don't think that so much fanfare and organization was needed... hundreds of people come here to "debate", some not to eloquently, but we don't hold a parade whenever they do :)

The only request that I make... is that in the process of helping people out on this forum, to try to limit your responses to queries you know you can answer. That last sentence goes out to anyone in this forum as well.

There have been too many times when I stumbled upon a thread that could have been solved with a single command or operation, only to find a helpful (but unfortunately, clueless) UF member telling them to replace hardware, install custom kernels, or remove important files. It all boils down to the hectic pace of the two main forums (Beginner and General), and the want to get a solution out quickly and move on to the next problem, without checking to see if it actually worked...

I agree. At the very least, try to keep your posts constructive to the OP, and don't start flame wars :).

linsux
May 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Most of the members participating are quite savvy in Linux. Though, I don't think most of us is well versed in Ubuntu. You don't have to worry about us giving bad answers, I'm pretty sure none of us would do that.

chucky chuckaluck
May 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM

i guess you'll just have to practice custody of the eyes.

blackgr
May 16th, 2009, 02:53 AM
THANK GOD!!! The bsd guys came to save us!! (or to be saved? :o;);)).
Welcome ):P

The truth is i never gave a thought about bsd, but it seems like you ppl gave a lot of thought about ubuntu :)

Ericyzfr1
May 16th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Like going on a week-end trip, you guys go to a different forum every time?):P

vernonrj
May 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Like going on a week-end trip, you guys go to a different forum every time?):P

That would be pretty fun.

dagrump
May 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
My luck it would rain.
Welcome visitors.

jrusso2
May 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM

I just searched you posts and I will be darned I can't find one where you helped anyone?

Tipped OuT
May 16th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I just searched you posts and I will be darned I can't find one where you helped anyone?

By helping, he most likely meant ******* people off. :lolflag:

Some of the Linsux.org community will be here at UF for the next few days to **** OFF Linux users and chat with the UF userbase. This thread serves as an introduction for our members. Please feel free to ask questions, our members will be arriving at different times.

Hi from the Linsux.org Community

Just kidding kids. :p

ViperChief
May 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Crap! I was promised a parade. Otherwise, I wouldn't have come over here. :D

All I can say is I'm a BSD advocate. Both the OS and the license. Maybe I can convince some of you to at least dual boot it. ;)

chucky chuckaluck
May 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
All I can say is I'm a BSD advocate. Both the OS and the license. Maybe I can convince some of you to at least dual boot it. ;)

which distro do you dual boot with?

ViperChief
May 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Personally, I have Windows 7 RC, PC-BSD, OpenSUSE and Fedora installed on my laptop. On my desktop I have XP, FreeBSD and OpenSUSE.

pbpersson
May 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Linux has shortcomings? OH NO! :o

I wish someone had told me before I switched my entire house to Ubuntu and banished Windows forever ;)

chucky chuckaluck
May 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Personally, I have Windows 7 RC, PC-BSD, OpenSUSE and Fedora installed on my laptop. On my desktop I have XP, FreeBSD and OpenSUSE.

is there something each one can do for you better than the others, or is there a favorite and the rest are just for when you're bored?

Icehuck
May 16th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Linux has shortcomings? OH NO! :o

I wish someone had told me before I switched my entire house to Ubuntu and banished Windows forever ;)

Your house must be pretty dark in the daytime without any windows. har har har

pbpersson
May 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Your house must be pretty dark in the daytime without any windows. har har har

Oh no, I am being bathed in the light of Ubuntu's quality and beauty. :)

Hey, I was born in Chicago and lived in the suburbs for 45 years. How is that great city doing? I never get out there any more. :(

Icehuck
May 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Oh no, I am being bathed in the light of Ubuntu's quality and beauty. :)

Hey, I was born in Chicago and lived in the suburbs for 45 years. How is that great city doing? I never get out there any more. :(

Right now its 50 degrees and rain. Spring is finally taking a firm hold but gas is starting to go up. Other than that nothing really has changed in recent years. Oh and the Blackhawks are finally going to be good team for a few years to come.

pbpersson
May 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Other than that nothing really has changed in recent years. .

You now have giant glowing faces in Grant Park that spit on people.

That is something we never had in Chicago when I was growing up, along with giant metal kidney beans.

See? This is progress :)

Icehuck
May 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
You now have giant glowing faces in Grant Park that spit on people.

That is something we never had in Chicago when I was growing up, along with giant metal kidney beans.

See? This is progress :)

The art around here is not changed very often so I don't usually notice it. Though I have to say I don't go to Grant Park or Millennium Park(other side of Grant Park) very much. I forgot to mention the Sears Tower will be sold and renamed. It will also being getting a paint job. Now that is a big change.

handy
May 16th, 2009, 05:47 AM

:lolflag:

I'm so glad you guys have arrived, this place really needs some life put back into it, as in resuscitation of the community spirit.

I wish you all the very best of luck, for everyone's sake. :D

ViperChief
May 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM
is there something each one can do for you better than the others, or is there a favorite and the rest are just for when you're bored?

On my laptop, I use Windows 7 RC mostly for Visual Studio and testing out the new version. I've been doing a lot of feedback, hoping the devs will work to fix the bugs before RTM. OpenSUSE, I use for a lot of my every day stuff (internet, Java dev, OpenOffice, etc). Right now, I use Windows more because I am testing things out. BSD is hit and miss on laptops, especially where Intel hardware is concerned. OpenSUSE is the best non-Windows I've seen with the Intel GMA.

On my desktop, XP is used mostly for gaming and Visual Studio. I was use FreeBSD for the most part, though. I just happen to like BSD more than Linux and have just been migrating over. Soon, It'll be mostly FreeBSD/XP on the desktop and Win7/OpenSUSE on the laptop.

When I build my new desktop, it will most likely be a Win7/FreeBSD mix with VMs to do all of my OS testing that I like to do. I test a lot of the distros out there to see what's going on. I'm planning a rig that can handle multiple VMs at once. At that point, I'm not sure if Linux will even be on the physical hard drive or if it will only reside in the VM.

handy
May 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Crap! I was promised a parade. Otherwise, I wouldn't have come over here. :D

I use FreeNAS, & love it.

I've used PC-BSD some years ago, it was fine, but I couldn't run all I needed (at that time anyway).

If all of the Linux distro's turn into overcomplicated heavyweights (like Ubuntu), I'll happily head for a BSD.

Currently I use Arch on an iMac & SliTaz & whatever else on the other testing box, IPCop/CopFilter on an old Dell Optiplex GX150, as my gateway/firewall/router/whatever...

For me, it really is nice to know that BSD is there if something comes along & stuffs up the Linux world completely. :)

Chilli Bob
May 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
OK Linsux guys, I'm up for a challenge. I tried FreeBSD a couple of years ago, and though it seemed to install completely, I could never get it to boot. So, for a medium level Linux user, what would you recommend as the easier ways to install BSD? Links to walkthroughs also appreciated. I'm lookng to someing equivalent to Ubuntu rather than something equivelent to Gentoo, if you get my drift. (Edit: For ease of install and helpfull forums, rather than size or included packages, i mean)

handy
May 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
A couple of years really does give plenty of room for development.

I'll leave the answers to your questions to someone else who knows...

Name change
May 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
PC-BSD, it's FreeBSD with KDE, but you can use something else if you don't like KDE.
Anyway I forgot that I was on the list :D so this is my addition to UF help.

ViperChief
May 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
PC-BSD, it's FreeBSD with KDE, but you can use something else if you don't like KDE.
Anyway I forgot that I was on the list :D so this is my addition to UF help.

+1

PC-BSD is an excellent segue into BSD. As stated above, it comes with a GUI install and a KDE desktop out of the box. But, rather than being a distro or fork, it is a complete FreeBSD system with a shiny wrapper. In fact, if you look, it identifies itself as FreeBSD. All of the benefits of FreeBSD are there, including the oustanding ports system. PC-BSD does add the PBI station. Think of this like OpenSUSE's one-step install. It's still pretty new, so it has it's bugs, but it actually works pretty well.

Check out http://www.pcbsd.org

When partitioning, it has to go on a primary partition. Just select the partition you want. Inside of that partition, FreeBSD will create "slices" which is pretty much partitions within a partition.

If you would like, feel free to drop by Linsux.org anytime for some help and advice. We actually have a guest forum if you don't want to register.

Paqman
May 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
When partitioning, it has to go on a primary partition.

Tbh, this is the main thing that has stopped me trying out BSD so far. For convenience i've always just chucked everything into an extended partition, and I can't really be bothered reshuffling my whole partitioning scheme just to satisfy curiosity. Next time I change my storage hardware i'll probably make some room for it though. It's worth a look at least.

quinnten83
May 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Tbh, this is the main thing that has stopped me trying out BSD so far. For convenience i've always just chucked everything into an extended partition, and I can't really be bothered reshuffling my whole partitioning scheme just to satisfy curiosity. Next time I change my storage hardware i'll probably make some room for it though. It's worth a look at least.

Virtualbox then?

kelvin spratt
May 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
PC_BSD is a very polished distro and codecs and flash all work my only problem is my Nvidia mobo does not seem to be supported for sound by PC-BSD. Which is very unfortunate for me.

dmizer
May 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Welcome linsux members.

Anyone else want to introduce themselves? If not, let's take these off topic conversations to other appropriate threads.

Paqman
May 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Virtualbox then?

Could do, but you'd only be getting half the picture. You'd be able to see how it handled software, but i'd like to see it running on actual hardware.

Besides, one of these days i'll get off my butt and set up the machine as a proper Win/Linux/BSD/Hackintosh multi-boot like i've been meaning to for ages.

Giant Speck
May 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome linsux members.

Anyone else want to introduce themselves? If not, let's take these off topic conversations to other appropriate threads.

I really don't think I need to introduce myself, but what the hell.

Hi, everyone! I'm Giant Speck. Most of you already know me from my posts here on Ubuntu Forums. I'm fairly sure I'm the most active UF user on Linsux.

chucky chuckaluck
May 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I really don't think I need to introduce myself, but what the hell.

Hi, everyone! I'm Giant Speck. Most of you already know me from my posts here on Ubuntu Forums. I'm fairly sure I'm the most active UF user on Linsux.

you do get around, old bean.

Giant Speck
May 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
you do get around, old bean.

Heh heh... http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/quagmire.gif Awwwwwwright!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

subdivision
May 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Linsux members, enjoy your stay. Or at least try. ):P

Thanks, I've enjoyed it pretty well so far.

XubuRoxMySox
May 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm a very recent "convert" from WinXP to Ubuntu. Up until two months ago (a little less, actually), WinXP was all I had ever known.

I was warned about chasing people away from Linux in my exuberance over this wonderful new-found freedom. There have even been threads about it here in U.F. about "preaching Linux" and turning people off who might otherwise listen. Sometimes our enthusiasm is perceived as arrogance.

This thread comes across to me the same way. Rabid newbie fanboy though I am, still I didn't run to a Windows forum and tell everyone in their own forum, "hey, Windows sux, use Linux!"

I really have no reason to change, but some of y'all have given me more reasons not to change, or even to take BSD seriously.

-Robin

jfloydb
May 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post
It was my impression that their site was satire and they don't really hate linux

Quote: Originally Posted by linsux View Post
We don't hate Linux.

It's a shame many will either not see that or ignore it.

If Linsux.org is meant to be humorous (satire), they sure "got" me... Ha ha ha...

XubuRoxMySox
May 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by linsux View Post
We don't hate Linux.

It doesn't matter what the disclaimer says. It's all the posts below it that show how people really feel and what they really think. Judging a site by one little sentence in an introductory paragraph is like judging a church by the sign on the door. You usually find that the label doesn't match the truth of what's inside.

But the very name - Linsux - betrays a better sense of the truth than the little statement "we don't hate Linux" buried in an introductory paragraph. Pft. Sure, we believe you... that's why you chose that name, right? That's why the forum is full of contempt for Linux, right?

Whatever. It's impossible to take the disclaimer seriously when the rest of the site comes off like that... and much more so when they "invade" this forum to "educate" us poor, disadvantaged Linux "victims." The arrogance is repulsive, and this little campaign of theirs has been enough to put me off even looking at BSD for a long time to come.

-Robin

Kareeser
May 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
One point I take mild-to-moderate offence with is the fact that some members in your forum have not tried Linux, yet are more than happy to look down upon others who have and like what they find.

You mention that rampant fanboyism is all UbuntuForums is made up of, but in my 20 short (yet informative) minutes on your forum, all I could see was contempt for anyone who believed anything other than your particular set of beliefs.

So, if you'd like, could you kindly explain why exactly Linsux is such a great place? It looks and reads to me like a chat room of disgruntled persons.

That said, everyone from Linsux is more than welcome to join in discussions here at UF and put forward their opinions, but remember that opinions are opinions, and stating them as fact without reason does not make them so.

handy
May 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Once upon a time, people were more secure, having no cause or need to take themselves so seriously. They lived by creeds such as live & let live; the joy of jest; freedom of choice; to each his own; share & share alike.

Due to this mindset, they respected & learned from the many, the different & the diverse...

Life, with a joyful open mind, is a very stimulating, creative, fun & interesting place to live & grow.

Then, without warning, a shadow crept in to many minds, causing the people to loose their confidence. This insecurity had a common side effect, causing many to feel that everyone must agree with their point of view, to the extent that those who had different points of view were seen as the enemy.

These clots clumped together in little enclaves of likeness, perpetually strengthening each others (meaning their own) views; thus, of course perpetuating their own (& others) boredom, causing the shadow to grow darker within them...

It is easier to remove the shadow than you may think, all you have to do is have an open mind & be secure that it is ok to not know everything, & that being wrong is ok too, as none of us knows everything about everything, so we are all usually most often just plain wrong. ):P

If we look at our mutually shared human wrongness, we can turn it around & use it joyfully as the common denominator for being human.

We all share the quality, every single one of us are brothers & sisters of the very holy order of the being, wrong.

See how easy it is for us to all be the ONE big happy & shadow free, clot!

Peace. :KS & :popcorn:

koenn
May 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
The arrogance is repulsive, and this little campaign of theirs has been enough to put me off even looking at BSD for a long time to come.

-Robin
Ah, but maybe you should judge an operating system by its own merits, or by the community that surrounds it, not by the mindless ramblings of a bunch of self-righteous nitwits on a crusade, who also happen to use that OS.

linsux
May 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ah, but maybe you should judge an operating system by its own merits, or by the community that surrounds it, not by the mindless ramblings of a bunch of self-righteous nitwits on a crusade, who also happen to use that OS.

You can call us what you want. We're not directly associated with any *BSD and we're not exactly a part of the main community like you people are with Linux.

koenn
May 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
We're not directly associated with any *BSD and we're not exactly a part of the main community ...
That's pretty much what I said, isn't it ?

... we're not exactly a part of the main community like you people are with Linux.
maybe not everyone who uses Ubuntu is "exactly part of the main [Linux] community" either ?

linsux
May 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
That's pretty much what I said, isn't it ?

maybe not everyone who uses Ubuntu is "exactly part of the main [Linux] community" either ?

They lump themselves in though, don't they? To be fair, I wasn't shouting it at you, it was just a clarification for other people who haven't clicked in on the fact yet :)

linsux
May 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
One point I take mild-to-moderate offence with is the fact that some members in your forum have not tried Linux, yet are more than happy to look down upon others who have and like what they find.

You mention that rampant fanboyism is all UbuntuForums is made up of, but in my 20 short (yet informative) minutes on your forum, all I could see was contempt for anyone who believed anything other than your particular set of beliefs.

So, if you'd like, could you kindly explain why exactly Linsux is such a great place? It looks and reads to me like a chat room of disgruntled persons.

That said, everyone from Linsux is more than welcome to join in discussions here at UF and put forward their opinions, but remember that opinions are opinions, and stating them as fact without reason does not make them so.

You people must realize that a lot of what appears to be fanboyish is just us trying to act as retarded as some people in the Linux community, it's sort of satire. I'm not saying that all of it is, but most of it is.

The staff members who write our content and act as the voice of our forums tend to be seasoned Linux users. I can't help it if some of our members hate Linux and have never tried it. Why is our site so great? Well, it's really funny, if you're not stuck up enough to make fun of things you love. We have little members, and that's because of the fact that most people fear us because of how bitchy we can be, we have a very large base of regular lurkers and we have 1000s of unique hits every week. Some people must think our forums are worth reading.

deepclutch
May 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I remember Helping a windows guy(MVP) in a forum few years back when he came to open source section of that forum and started a thread on ubuntu..I wonder why he doing a saint!Later ,in the evening ,there come the thread with Linux(and Ubuntu) bashing and more!**

**thinkdigit forum

:D .I don't want to inspire anyone here! :P

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I remember Helping a windows guy(MVP) in a forum few years back when he came to open source section of that forum and started a thread on ubuntu..I wonder why he doing a saint!Later ,in the evening ,there come the thread with Linux(and Ubuntu) bashing and more!**

**thinkdigit forum

:D .I don't want to inspire anyone here! :P

yes, i'm sure you don't. let's just stoop to that mentality, it'll make everything better.

jfloydb
May 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
If Linsux.org is meant to be humorous (satire), they sure "got" me... Ha ha ha...

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being sarcastic (a bit of satire, perhaps)...

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
hilarious.

sourchier
May 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Greetings Linsux.org members. If you are truely bored; then you wouldn't mind fixing all the broken ports here:

http://www.freshports.org/ports-broken.php

Something fun to do rather than destroying our humble forum.

dmizer
May 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I think this topic has degenerated far enough, so I'm closing it.

Please remember that even if you do not agree with the linsux group, that we expect the Ubuntuforums community to remember the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) when posting on these forums. Likewise, we expect the linsux members to abide by the same principles.

Thank you.