PDA

View Full Version : Cable management

tenmilez
May 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
As you might have guessed I have a bunch of wires that need to go from tangled to handled. I've used zip ties and cup holder screws so far, but it's ugly because my desk is positioned in such a way that all the wires are visible. The paths the wires take are pretty much set so I was looking at trays/tubes to run thrm through to hide them, but they're a little more expensive than I want to spend. Does anyone know where to get cheap ones or have another idea on how to make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Sinkingships7
May 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know where to get cheap ones or have another idea on how to make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Yeah. Go wireless.

jerrrys
May 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
know anyone in the phone business? they got great sticky tabs...

LowSky
May 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.electriduct.com/Black-Wire-Loom-Flex-Tube-_p_162.html&catid=47
bulk split Wire loom
the stuff is sold by the foot at $0.65

Cant get cheaper than that

freebeer
May 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Mrs. FreeBeer is a little compulsive about that sort of thing. But she's good in that she finds her own solution and implements it by herself and doesn't bug me about it.

What she did: For cables that were running along the floor, she taped them against the baseboards, then painted the tape to match the baseboard trim color. Since it was extra paint left over for touch-ups, it didn't cost anything. The masking tape isn't permanent, so if you have to pull it up, you can. Meanwhile, it's been several years and still holding.

Where appropriate, she used spare pipe insulation (left over from construction) and used it as a sort-of-conduit. It's flexible and can be taped or clamped to other objects as needed. I have a little shelf in the leg well of my desk. The edge of that shelf is where she ran the pipe insulation (and wires, of course). You can't notice the "conduit" at all. She left some slack at either end so that it's possible to shift the desk a little bit without getting bound up by the wires.