PDA

View Full Version : has anyoneditched Photoshop and now uses Gimp for work?

Ascenti0n
May 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
HI all

I just can't decide if I can make the jump to Gimp or not, I want to, I really do.

I own and have used Photoshop for (web only) graphics development, and I have until Jaunty, used it running under wine and with only minor niggles. But since Jaunty, there has been conflct issues with Compiz and I noticed that just using the text tool, demands 100% CPU time.

I've tried to adjust to Gimp, but find the lack of adjustment layers, layer groups and folders etc slow productivity. I dont' use PS for print work so colourspace is not an issue.

Has anyone ditched PS for the Gimp and uses it for work? if so, did you get over any issues you may have had?

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I have, but not for work, it's kind of my hobby, I'm a graphic designer. I create icons, wallpapers, "photoshop" things, etc.

Check out my avatar for example, notice the drop shadow, the ubuntu logo that appears to be tattooed on my Tux, and the word "Tipped OuT" on the bandana. :p

lakersforce
May 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have ditched it completely. But I'm not a professional. In my opinion it's all a matter of adjustment!

paullinux
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
"Understanding the different color modes is a vital step to becoming a good designer. For example, it would be detrimental to your efforts to compose an image for print using the RGB color mode, as colors may not appear on paper as they do on screen.

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (black). It is used mainly for commercial print jobs advertisements, magazines, books, posters, etc."

The Gimp has no support for CMYK as yet. So any professional working on something that needs to be printed will not use the Gimp.