PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] Detecting IPX and Judging suitability for classroom use.

QwUo173Hy
May 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
My local primary school has had 30 computers donated by the military. I have no idea what they are until I meet with the staff of the school, but how will I know if they have IPX and whatever else is required to set up Edubuntu? If I know the machines will be up to scratch - they might be willing to purchase one good computer to serve the system from.

ranch hand
May 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
You do not say what OS these boxes run under, this may help you get a response.

If you can install Ubuntu on them Edubuntu will be no problem. Just try booting a live CD and see, will probably work.

I am rather new at any network stuff but i believe that iTalc, included with the Edubuntu package, handles the networking.

QwUo173Hy
May 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks ranch hand. They have windows installed at the moment, but if they want me to support them and train the staff, Ubuntu will have to be installed on them.

I'm just not yet in a position to tell them if the machines are suitable from an IPX perspective. And I don't want to wipe any of their precious machines in case Ubuntu isn't suitable for some reason.

Thanks,
Jarlath