PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power shut down while upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04

beakdan
May 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Been lurking for a while, and made use of a lot of great info here. This is my first real post, though.

So, I was upgrading from Intrepid Ibex to Jaunty Jackalope- I had downloaded all the packages, and installation was nearly complete, when the power plug jiggled loose (I'm working on that problem, too). The system had not reached the cleanup phase.

I plugged it back in and restarted; the splash screen and login screen were both the Jaunty version. However, I never saw my desktop or menu bars. So something is obviously very confused.

My data is safe; I have a second internal HD that I back up to periodically using rsync. I can even boot from it if I use the oh-so-savvy technique of swapping the cables (I could probably change the boot drive, too, but this works).

I'm not sure what the best option now is. I am hoping it's possible to fix this without downloading all the packages again (which took ~4 hrs at my connection speed), but I can certainly do that. I also have a 8.10 live CD handy.

Any suggestions?

Dan

milton1
May 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Can you get a terminal up? If so, try this:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

beakdan
May 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
From the login screen, I was able to select the option to change my session to "Failsafe Terminal". I then ran the dpkg command and now the system seems to be fine.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, but this seems like a fix.

Thanks!

Dan