PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Live USB on older computer

applecake
May 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hey!

My mum bringed an old computer home, around 6 years old. An IBM Thinkcentre that's probably from 2003 or 2004. The problem is, when you try to boot from USB. I press F12, get boot list, choose "removable device", and for 10 seconds, nothing happens, until it starts loading from HDD again.
I don't know if I'm doing all right. I've put Xubuntu on the USB-memorystick with Unetbootin, and it works with this Dell I'm writing from.
If you go into BIOS on the IBM, and look at "removable devices", there is only one thing, the diskette drive which I've disconnected. So do you think I can add USB to the removable devices?

snowpine
May 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Applecake, if the computer's bios does not support booting from a USB thumb drive, there isn't anything that can be done unfortunately. Maybe you can boot from a Live CD instead?

applecake
May 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Ok. While wating for answers, I went into BIOS again and discovered that as well. I'm out of CD's right now.. :)

And I can't "mod",install another BIOS or update the BIOS?

Thanks for your answer!

Mark Phelps
May 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ok. While wating for answers, I went into BIOS again and discovered that as well. I'm out of CD's right now.. :)

And I can't "mod",install another BIOS or update the BIOS?

Thanks for your answer!
Of course you CAN mod the BIOS, but unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, and have the hardware and programmable chip needed to burn a new BIOS, you'll end up with an electric brick.