PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommend Me A Good Desktop, No Eye Candy

CodeLab
May 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I Switched to Ubuntu From XP About A Week Ago.
Installed Ubuntu 8.10 And Upgraded To 9.04 A Couple Of Days Ago
So Far Good.
I Played With GNOME And KDE.
Not Really Happy With That
Can Someone Recommend Me A Good Desktop That Is Performance Oriented And No Eye Candy
KDE is Good For People Switching From XP, But The Whole Lot Of Eye Candy Bogs Down The CPU And Performance,
I Am Looking For A Really Simple Desktop Easy To Use, With No Eye Candy That Costs System Performance (On Quite An Old Hardware)

PhilMize
May 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
unless your machine is super old your really not going to loose a lot of performance... but if eye candy is not your fortay then just um turn it off?

System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects>None

rizman
May 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I haven't tried it myself as I like eye candy, but what about Xubuntu?

From the Ubuntu Heompage:

Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) is an official derivative of Ubuntu using the Xfce desktop environment. It is intended for users with less-powerful computers, or those that require a highly efficient desktop environment on faster systems. Xubuntu features primarily GNOME applications.

CodeLab
May 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
@PhilMize
Thanks For Kind Word. I Already Did That, But Still System Performance Of Fresh Installation Of Ubuntu Is Much Slower Than What XP Was.

@rizman
Thanks, I Will Try That And Post Back.
A Newbie Question Here,
I Had Couple Of Applications On Ubuntu, Can I Use Them On XUbubtu...?

hvacmoose
May 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on amchine with 512 in ram and a 1.0ghz processor.
I would reccomend going back to 8.10 and just tweaking it to your needs.
I have found that long term support releases are the way to go if you are actually looking for performance.

Ubuntu is not an out of the box cadilac , you have to take the time to tweak it and make it your own. It seems to me that the longer I leave a realease on one of my machines, the faster and faster it gets. this might be my imagination. but i have a machine with 512 ram that boots faster and responds to all operation commands faster than my xp laptop with a dual core processor and 2gigs of ram.

Dont give up. Linux is the Right Choice

OH yeah Go with the GNOME

kanikilu
May 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I like Xubuntu, and use it on my netbook, but to be honest, these days it seems XFCE is not a whole heck of a lot lighter than Gnome (without Compiz).

If you are looking for no-frills, you can't really go more minimal than Fluxbox. I haven't used it much, but I used Blackbox (which Fluxbox is based on) years ago, and even used the Windows version for a while (bb4win).

There's also Openbox, LXDE, IceWM, and so on. I've tried most of the major window managers/desktop environments out there, and for some reason I always find myself coming back to Gnome :)

CodeLab
May 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
@hvacmoose
For A Very Newbie Its Difficult Too Figure Out All The Required Tweaks, Then Also It Depends On How Much Time You Can Put in Learning,
Gnome Is Good, I Cannot Put In Enough Time To Learn How To Tweak It.
I Switched To Linux Just A Week Ago, I Know Very Little About Linux Yet.

I Played With Xbuntu And Find It Good For Me, Its Almost What I Want, What A Linux Newbie Switching From Windows Will Want

Thanks Everyone For Taking Time To Help A newbie Here

@kanikilu Thanks

1 More Newbie Question (Repeated From Post #4)
From What I Understand Gnome, KDE, xubuntu Etc Are Just Desktop Managers, Applications Installed In One Will Also Be Accessible In Other. ? Right ?

kanikilu
May 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
From What I Understand Gnome, KDE, xubuntu Etc Are Just Desktop Managers, Applications Installed In One Will Also Be Accessible In Other. ? Right ? That's correct. The only difference between the different environments is how you access the programs. Gnome does a pretty good job of keeping your menus up-to-date automatically as you install/remove applications.

On the other hand, when I used Blackbox, the menus had to be edited by hand. I'm not sure if that's changed with the more recent derivatives (Fluxbox and Openbox), but someone more familiar with those can probably answer that in more detail.

jerrrys
May 15th, 2009, 05:50 PM
this helped me when i first started using ubuntu...

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

and no one has mention old, non cutting edge 8.04...it just works...