PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise on Distributions For Introduction to Linux and Open Source Class

rucadulu
May 15th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I have been asked to but together a short 4 week Adult Continuing Education Class Titled an Introduction to Linux and Open Source software. Based on the experiences of the users who come to this forum, I would like to ask for some input on which Linux Distributions did you find the easiest to work worth for first time Linux users. I myself use Linux everyday at work and at play for more than 5 yrs now. And I have found that all distro’s that I have come across have their strengths and weaknesses.

For built in easy to use software installers I think Ubuntu and Fedora have the best products.

For being the most MS Windows like I would have to say that goes to Xandros

For easy of installation I think Ubuntu, Mepis, and Mandriva are clear winners.

For overall feel of the product I am torn between Ubuntu and Mandriva.

I would really like to know how you feel. Please try and stick with the bigger well established Distributions. I would not like to give out paths to distro's that may or may not be around in a year or two. For the record I will take the students to www.distrowatch.com during the class so they have a feel for the many different types of distro’s available.

kk0sse54
May 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I've always liked the user friendlyness of OpenSUSE as well as Mandriva.

Sef
May 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Since Ubuntu is mentioned in 3 of the 4 remarks, I would go with that. Also your students could get help in the forums if they posted or just had questions to ask.