PDA

View Full Version : New web brower feature

claymater
May 15th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be cool, if a web browser (say firefox) had a feature that there is a bit torrent client built in and if there was a option to download a file with a torrent it would choice that above a html download. The bit torrent download would look like any other download (like when the "download window" opens it would show a torrent just like a html file) so the newer users wouldn't freak out.

(the only reason this would be nice is because a torrent is faster then a traditional download)

Joeb454
May 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Opera has this built in, as well as a couple of other web browsers :)

I know opera has had it for a long time

super.rad
May 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Opera has a built in torrent client

EDIT: Damn beat to it

s3a
May 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Firefox probably has an add-on that does this. Additionally, I think opera does this.

ghindo
May 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
The only disadvantage to that is if you want to seed, you'll have to leave your web browser open. I prefer having a separate torrent client.

claymater
May 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Ahh, I had no clue thats out there.... still cool :)

Skripka
May 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
(the only reason this would be nice is because a torrent is faster then a traditional download)

Sometimes, but not always.

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Wyzo has that too:

http://www.wyzo.com/

Skripka
May 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Wyzo has that too:

http://www.wyzo.com/

Note the caveat-Not Available for Linux Yet. ;)

Tibuda
May 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
The only disadvantage to that is if you want to seed, you'll have to leave your web browser open. I prefer having a separate torrent client.

Unix philosophy: "Do one thing and do it well"

pwnst*r
May 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
i believe op...... oh, never
mind.

xxxfresca
May 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I like that philosophy. Opera is the only browser I know of that has that feature. Personally, I like having µTorrent installed to manage my torrents.

Mateo
May 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I have another idea, wouldn't it be great if browser's could have separate "tabs" so that you can view multiple websites at the same time?

just joking ;)

claymater
May 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have another idea, wouldn't it be great if browser's could have separate "tabs" so that you can view multiple websites at the same time?

just joking ;)
Haha, about to get mad until I read the last part :P

lovinglinux
May 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Wyzo uses firetorrent (http://www.fireaddons.com/downloads/), which is also available as a Firefox extension. Download firetorrent here (http://www.fireaddons.com/downloads/).

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Wouldn't it be great if you had a browser that built up a profile of your browsing habits and decided what web pages you want to look at? Oh wait... that would be annoying.

billgoldberg
May 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be cool, if a web browser (say firefox) had a feature that there is a bit torrent client built in and if there was a option to download a file with a torrent it would choice that above a html download. The bit torrent download would look like any other download (like when the "download window" opens it would show a torrent just like a html file) so the newer users wouldn't freak out.

By now you know Opera has a built in client.

But I don't think it's a good idea.

A standalone client is much better for torrent downloading for obvious reasons.

If you download a torrent file, a dialog pops up asking if you want to open it with a torrent client or save the file.

And since Ubuntu comes with a torrent client preinstalled, I don't see how this feature would be useful at all.

Maybe on Windows and OSX it would be useful for people who don't know how use torrents.

steev182
May 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
What would be cool would be an extension that lets you click on a DVD or CD on amazon.co.uk or something and it does a search for the torrent and then automatically puts the torrent in your client.

pwnst*r
May 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
What would be cool would be an extension that lets you click on a DVD or CD on amazon.co.uk or something and it does a search for the torrent and then automatically puts the torrent in your client.

yeah, because copyright infringement is cool!

Metallion
May 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
And since Ubuntu comes with a torrent client preinstalled, I don't see how this feature would be useful at all.

Maybe on Windows and OSX it would be useful for people who don't know how use torrents.

An interesting comment since you're talking about an OS with a slogan like "Linux for human beings". I'm not saying I want that in browser torrent thing to be added but still... Your line of thinking goes directly against the OS'philosphy.

Opera is a browser that does loads of things and only does web browsing well. :) I'm a fan of Opera but I do think some of its features don't belong in a browser. Torrents and mail client is one thing but you can even use it to give presentations like powerpoint (they call this Opera Show I believe). >.>

lovinglinux
May 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM

It already exists. I don't like the idea and I think such an extension should not be created/used, but I'm attaching a screenshot of an article about the subject. I'm doing this way so the links are not clickable (for obvious reasons).

Note: I'm reporting my own post because I'm not sure it could be against the rules or could be violating the copyright of the article writer.

RiceMonster
May 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM

+1

just joking ;)

I'd like to laugh at that, but I have to use IE6 at work :(.

Opera is a browser that does loads of things and only does web browsing well. :) I'm a fan of Opera but I do think some of its features don't belong in a browser. Torrents and mail client is one thing but you can even use it to give presentations like powerpoint (they call this Opera Show I believe). >.>

The emacs or web browsers

billgoldberg
May 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
An interesting comment since you're talking about an OS with a slogan like "Linux for human beings". I'm not saying I want that in browser torrent thing to be added but still... Your line of thinking goes directly against the OS'philosphy.

How exactly?

sim-value
May 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
How exactly?

Would be Interesting to know for me too ...

Cause a Human Being wants to Click and download and with the Pre-Installed client żou can do just that

Metallion
May 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
The thing is that he looks down on Windows and Mac users and says that they just have to know how to use torrents.

Ubuntu is profiling itself as a distro that can be used by people without any technical knowledge. It is this exactly this kind of people that don't "just know" how to use such stuff and need to have it easy.

Wether torrents are considered a technical skill or not is debatable but what I'm getting at is the "they should just know" part in his post.

missmoondog
October 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM

then ubuntu needs to switch it's default browser to epiphany!!

now, that's a great idea!!

mhurst1022
October 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yea right why not just switch to IE its about as good.