PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mac OS Desktop

Bankai56
May 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
OK i know there are a lot of themes flying around of mac os and i was interesseted if there is something like a real mac theme with dashboard and group function if many apps are open. Would inteeresst me, as my friend bet that i would kill ubuntu while doing that, only started to use it sometime ago. And killed it aprox 7 times until now XD.
Now he bought a mac and now there is the war between Mac os and Ubuntu and as I work solo and my fiend has nearly the whole school behind his back i really need to win this somehow, but if it doesnt work who care i will find even vetter stuff :D
Thanks for the help just trying to establish a good name for ubuntu :)
Bankai

joey-elijah
May 14th, 2009, 11:48 PM
So you're trying to show how awesome Ubuntu is by dressing it up like OS X? That's, er.. a bit of a contradiction.

To answer your question - Screenlets are the Linux equivalent of 'dashboard' widgets and if you're using compiz they can be 'hidden' on a widget layer and only be shown when you press a key or navigate to a hot corner... just like dashboard!

As for grouping - yes there are many ways of grouping windows...

And yes there is expose, docks, flurry screensaver, OS X icons, replacement gnome panel that acts like the mac taskbar... etc...

Surely the best way to show Ubuntu is better is to let it be Ubuntu?

Mirge
May 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
What criteria is used for "better"? Too broad, imo.

Anyway, a Mac is better at being a Mac...

Marlonsm
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
It's though to make a Mac fan admit that there are other OSs as good as OS X.
Good luck.

Just show him Compiz and the money you saved, I don't think you'll need much more than that. Showing Wine, Add/Remove progams, the customizability of Ubuntu is also good.