PDA

View Full Version : Java installation help

hooless
May 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
hey all, im having a little trouble here with a java installation.

Ok, I downloaded and installed the latest version of java the way the java site tells us linux users, but when i try to link it to the mozilla folder for the plugin, it just doesnt work...

could i be doing something wrong? i use the commands listed on the java site, but which folder should i be linking it to? i have like 4 folders which have differing variations of mozilla, firefox, or both..

Fleshtone
May 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
This is my first attempt at actually answering a question, but I'll say that my version of firefox runs out of /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10

I think, though, that the directions on the java site are only for earlier versions of firefox. In 3.0.10, you can install a java plugin through the add-ons menu.

That said, I can verify my installation through java.com, but when I try to access my work's time clock website, it tells me the java plugin is not installed. hrmm.

jamesstansell
May 23rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
The preferred way to install the sun java plugin is with the sun-java6-plugin package. (That's not to say there isn't the occasional issue with it.) Can you try that?

hooless
May 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM
ya thanks everyone. I got it to work- just needed to download the plugin lol. so how do i like delete this thread?

jamesstansell
May 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Glad it's working for you!

Leave the thread so if others have similar issues they will find it and see what they need to do. There should be a way to mark it as solved.