PDA

View Full Version : PCLinuxOS

veloct
January 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried this distribution? What did you think of it? Thanks for the input.

aysiu
January 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Has anyone tried this distribution? What did you think of it? Thanks for the input. Theoretically, I think it's awesome. It's a live CD and installer CD combined. It's slick-looking and newbie-friendly, especially to the GUI-oriented.

Even though it's based on Mandriva, it uses Synaptic Package Manager for software installation, and it includes DiskDrake (a wonderfully reliable and powerful disk partitioning program).

It also includes a lot of the proprietary codecs many Ubuntu users complain about Ubuntu lacking.

There are a few reasons I don't use it, though:

1. The layout of their support forum scares me. I don't even know where to begin.

2. PCLinuxOS doesn't recognize my sound card or my USB mouse. Ubuntu does.

3. I kind of like the idea of starting out totally free and then adding any non-free codecs I may need later.

Rackerz
January 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Theoretically, I think it's awesome. It's a live CD and installer CD combined. It's slick-looking and newbie-friendly, especially to the GUI-oriented.

Even though it's based on Mandriva, it uses Synaptic Package Manager for software installation, and it includes DiskDrake (a wonderfully reliable and powerful disk partitioning program).

It also includes a lot of the proprietary codecs many Ubuntu users complain about Ubuntu lacking.

There are a few reasons I don't use it, though:

1. The layout of their support forum scares me. I don't even know where to begin.

2. PCLinuxOS doesn't recognize my sound card or my USB mouse. Ubuntu does.

3. I kind of like the idea of starting out totally free and then adding any non-free codecs I may need later.

That's the basic list as to why I don't really use it either. The forum is strange Lol.

BWF89
January 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM
I tried it out on a LiveCD about a year ago. It seemed like a cool distro.

claydoh
January 12th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I think they do very well for such a small team, really. their mailing list is a lot easier to use :), but yeah, their forum is a bit awkward :D

But I always recommemnd it as an option as it is a nice liveCD with a good install routine. (to be honest, I have never tried the Ubuntu liveCD)

landotter
January 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM
PCLinuxOS is fantastic for somebody that needs a system with all the bells and whistles, and wants them fast. It doesn't seem as stable as Ubuntu...the live CD is fantastic...and the legality of the whole thing is questionable.

Linspire might be a better option for the same audience that PCLinuxOS is targeting. It's not bad at all--and that's coming from a die hard Ubuntu and Gnome user.

landotter
January 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM
itchy trigger finger--double post

Dr. E
January 28th, 2006, 03:09 AM
PcLinuxOs is a great distro. It worked out of the box on my two boxes, unlike Ubuntu I'm sorry to say. The old forum was clanky, but the new one is much better. You should check it out: http://www.pclinuxos.com

closeyourwindows
January 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I gave it a shot and was really hoping to like it. I had many problems with the install, but I think it was the disk, after that fiasco, I did get it up and running for a week or so, but one thing that that made me remove it was it would hang on start up all the time looking for printers that were never there.
I had mixed feelings about it too. I really like the layout of the control center and how it all flowed together but It also felt like it was a M$ knock off. I still use the live cd instead of knoppix to show friends and co workers, but it pretty much just stopped working for me.

the only real thing I did not like about it was that it uses rpms. I thought we were advancing. that would be like M$ using FAT again. oh well, I am not hating on it cause I really do like it and it would be the one I would use if it were not for ubuntu.

tufkakf
January 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
the only real thing I did not like about it was that it uses rpms. I thought we were advancing. that would be like M$ using FAT again.
:shock: :?:

TechSonic
January 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Phat.

void_false
January 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Their forum is OK. Dont know why do you think its odd. :confused:
And what is the problem with RPM? According to linuxforumso.org poll most users uses RPM based distros. :twisted:

Sirin
January 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
the only real thing I did not like about it was that it uses rpms. I thought we were advancing. that would be like M$ using FAT again. oh well, I am not hating on it cause I really do like it and it would be the one I would use if it were not for ubuntu.

Actually, RPMs to me are easier and more advanced than DEBs. With DEBs, the only way you can unpackage it is use the command line. With RPMs, you just double-click on the icon, input the admin password, and off it goes!

Which seems easier to you, the way of the command line, or the double-click and watch it fly way :-? ?

tufkakf
January 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Actually, RPMs to me are easier and more advanced than DEBs. With DEBs, the only way you can unpackage it is use the command line. With RPMs, you just double-click on the icon, input the admin password, and off it goes!

Which seems easier to you, the way of the command line, or the double-click and watch it fly way :-? ?
This has nothing to do with deb, or rpm. It simply depends on the distribution providing a tool that can do this. For example kpackage can do this with both rpms and debs.

Iandefor
January 28th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Which seems easier to you, the way of the command line, or the double-click and watch it fly way :-? ? There are utilities to double-click install .deb. But I prefer the command line.

aysiu
January 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
There are utilities to double-click install .deb. KPackage, for example.
But I prefer the command line. Me too. It forces me to be a more accurate typist.

closeyourwindows
January 29th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I would much rather use the command line to install and uninstall. I can see everything that is happening and can stop it at an instant. If I wanted a gui for everything I would use M$pyware. I personally think fedora is a great distro and I have used it for a few years. I have nothing against RPM's, but I dont like all the dependencies needed for everything. RPM's work best in Mandriva I think and should not be a part of PClinux. the distro feels like a debian and acts like a debian, but is not. I am just Glad that my favorite flavor of linux, Ubuntu is deb and if I need to use an RPM, I can always use alien.

Sirin
January 29th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I have nothing against RPM's, but I dont like all the dependencies needed for everything.

DEBs are full of dependencies also. Synaptic only lets you download packages that they support. But if you use "dpkg", you'll have dependency problems. ;)