PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updated to 9.04 now stuck on login

jhann
May 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hello,
I had a quick look around and was unable to find a thread which had the same problem and a solution.

I've just updated to Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop, I already have it installed on my laptop and it's going well (I'm still rather new to it all)

After the install of 9.04 I boot the machine up and it pops up with a couple of errors saying that the login screen is incorrect and its going to use the default. I put in my username and password and instead of logging me on the box where my details go in dissapeared and i'm left with a brown screen with nothing on it except my mouse pointer. I can ctrl + alt +f1-f6 into different terminals but am unable to login via the graphical interface.
Am I right to think it's a problem with gnome?
Thanks in advance.
James

Carl Hamlin
May 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I put in my username and password and instead of logging me on the box where my details go in dissapeared and i'm left with a brown screen with nothing on it except my mouse pointer.

I've had *horrible* luck going the upgrade route. A couple of years ago, I decided to skip upgrades and instead moved to s system whereby I backup my important data, smoke the drive and install from CD instead of performing upgrades. This has worked *much* better for me.