PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a story

rouben
May 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
OK, everyone, this is a really weird one... :???: :-s

Once upon a time I came across this really awesome story about a sysadmin (or maybe a programmer) that was mainly from a Windows/Mac GUI world. It was a very interesting narrative, because it sort of reminded me of a love story... almost. Hence the weirdness.

Anyway, the story went something like a GUI-centric guy is suddenly introduced to the command-line UNIX world. At first he is intimidated by the cryptic incantations of his more experienced colleagues, the minimalist responses he gets back (e.g. no output = everything OK). Later on the story compares this minimalism to wisdom and twists things into a more romantic (and weird) flavour along the lines of the sysadmin "falling" for a more mature and "wise" system and ditching the bloated GUI, etc, etc.

I stumbled across this story, but was stupid enough not to bookmark it. Now I'm looking for it, but can't find it. :( I'd appreciate if someone who knows the story would get back to me with a link. Oh and finally, I can't quite remember what language it was written in... either English or Russian (I'm fluent in both). I'm really killing myself to find it, because IMO it was written very well for a "computer" story.

Thanks!

Dragonbite
May 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Is it listed in your browser's history?

In firefox go History > Show All History and look through the list in the window that comes up.

You have me intersted now. That sounds like it could be an interesting read! :popcorn:

rouben
May 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Haha, I wish! That was ages ago, unfortunately... :( And besides, I set my history to 0 days. Bit of a privacy junkie when it comes to my browsing history. ;)