PDA

View Full Version : New here- looking for some help... :)

donella
May 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I just switched from Windows XP where I ran Adobe's Lightroom program for photo editing... I am looking for a similar product that would be supported on my new OS. I see a lot of programs that will do basic photo editing, but am really hoping to find something that would mimic all the features I had become familiar with in Lightroom...

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

CJ Master
May 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Lightroom has been recentally runable with WINE, but it's got mixed ratings.

I don't really know what it is. If you need a proffesional image editor, try the GIMP. (Go to Applications -> Add/Remove and type in gimp)

donella
May 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
at the risk of sounding totally silly, I am not familiar with WINE. :P

I do have GIMP installed on this system, but its use of ease isn't the best.... if its all I have to work with then I am def. going to give it a go... thank you for the response.

CJ Master
May 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I do have GIMP installed on this system, but its use of ease isn't the best.... if its all I have to work with then I am def. going to give it a go... thank you for the response.

Don't worry, it'd only be silly if you didn't ask about something you didn't know. :)

WINE is a recursive acronym for "WINE is not an Emulator." In short, it's a compatibility layer for Windows programs and applications. It's defiantly not perfect, but you can generally google workarounds to make different applications work right.

WINE should be in Add/Remove also, so you can search for it there.

handy
May 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
There is also Codeweavers Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Which is where (last I heard) the chief maintainer of the Wine project works. You have to pay a little for Crossover, but under the right circumstances, it can be the easiest way to run windows software on Linux or OSX.

stwschool
May 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Alternatively you can have a look at http://www.winehq.org/download/deb for instructions to get a more up-to-date version of Wine than that carried in the Ubuntu repositories. Wine is brilliant actually, it runs so many programs, for me it's like having the best of both worlds, and anything that Wine won't do I tend to run in VirtualBox.

RiceMonster
May 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM

It's not as hard as you may think. I learned how to use it and I didn't know a thing about Photoshop or any other image editing programs (mspaint doesn't count). So if I can learn it, you can too.

donella
Ok, so then that would be ideal if I could get the preferred program to work on this workstation... thank you for your response.

rax_m
Hi..
There are quite a few options, also dependent whether you're doing just simple personal photo processing or professional photo editing.

For raw files one can use:
- rawTherapee
- rawStudio
- digikam?
- LightZone (commercial)
- Bibble (commercial)

For non-raw processing:
- F-Spot
- Picasa
- The GIMP

And there's probably a few others I've left out.

donella
May 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
There is also Codeweavers Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Which is where (last I heard) the chief maintainer of the Wine project works. You have to pay a little for Crossover, but under the right circumstances, it can be the easiest way to run windows software on Linux or OSX.

will def. look into this option, as well... thank you!

stwschool
May 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Crossover is excellent, it's good at running MS Office and does run a few adobe apps though nothing that much more recent than you could run in Wine in my view.

handy
May 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Crossover is excellent, it's good at running MS Office and does run a few adobe apps though nothing that much more recent than you could run in Wine in my view.

Agreed; with few exceptions, it is just so much easier & less time consuming to install & run many things via Crossover rather than to do the same thing via Wine.

This is most especially important to a new or lazy Linux user.

They usually have enough on their plate with a learning curve that is so steep it loops the loop, than to have to spend a day or quite possibly days, working out how to configure their Wine/App' to work optimally on their system.

I think Crossover is, for the right software, & the right user, a brilliant solution.

mamamia88
May 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
for some reason i find it easier to uninstall programs on wine though

stwschool
May 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Agreed; with few exceptions, it is just so much easier & less time consuming to install & run many things via Crossover rather than to do the same thing via Wine.

This is most especially important to a new or lazy Linux user.

They usually have enough on their plate with a learning curve that is so steep it loops the loop, than to have to spend a day or quite possibly days, working out how to configure their Wine/App' to work optimally on their system.

I think Crossover is, for the right software, & the right user, a brilliant solution.
Agreed crossover is very easy, but then so is Winetricks, which does the job for most things. Once you've installed your basic selection in Winetricks (ie6, msxml3 and 6, dotnet2, directx9, codecs and fonts and a few vb and vc runtimes) you can get most software to run without a hitch in my experience.

Also, if a user uses the command line and just copies the command in the launcher, they can quite often find out what's causing any breakages..

ie... command line output mentions missing thingy.dll so what do you do? You go get thingy.dll and put it in windows/system32 and before you know it you've got a perfect install.

Sure it's a few manual steps but if you're fairly familiar with windows it's a piece of cake.

donella
May 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I am going to give LightZone a try for now... if its not going to work, I think I will go with crossover... I am not a lazy Linux user, but def a newbie user, and since I am having a hard time adjusting to this OS, I don't want to try something like WINE and totally dash my self confidence! Thanks so much for all your responses...

monsterstack
May 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I am going to give LightZone a try for now... if its not going to work, I think I will go with crossover... I am not a lazy Linux user, but def a newbie user, and since I am having a hard time adjusting to this OS, I don't want to try something like WINE and totally dash my self confidence! Thanks so much for all your responses...

Time heals all of that. Things like WINE are great for the occasional Windows app you just can't live without. But till you are confident enough for using it, you can just stick to what's in the repositories. Take your time, explore. You'll find a whole bunch of applications to cherish and adore.

lovinglinux
May 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi..
There are quite a few options, also dependent whether you're doing just simple personal photo processing or professional photo editing.

For raw files one can use:
- rawTherapee
- rawStudio
- digikam?
- LightZone (commercial)
- Bibble (commercial)t.

This is exactly what the OP is looking for, not GIMP.