PDA

View Full Version : gcc search path

adit
May 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
When I tried to compile an example GTK program I get the following error:
gtk.h: No such file or directory
I have installed libgtk2.0-dev package. gtk.h is in /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk.
How can I make gcc to search /usr/include and all of its subdirectories?

dwhitney67
May 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
When compiling with gcc, specify the location of the GTK header files using the -I (eye) option.

gcc -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 ...

adit
May 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I tried your code. Now gcc found out gtk.h, but it couldn't find a lot of other header files. (See my attachments). Even if I ask gcc to look into /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk by typing the following code

~$ gcc -I /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk helloworld.c
it looks only into /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk subdirectory. Many header files are in other subdirectories under /usr/include/gtk-2.0. GCC does not look into any other subdirectories. The libgtk2.0-dev package installation creates header files in various subdirectories under /usr/include/gtk-2.0

~$ ls /usr/include/gtk-2.0
gdk
gdk-pixbuf
gdk-pixbuf-xlib
gtk
All the header files are in the above four subdirectories.

So I gave the parent directory /usr/include/gtk-2.0 as an option. What GCC does is, it sees only the names of these 4 subdirectories. It does not look into the contents of these subdirectories. How can I make GCC to look into all subdirectories under /usr/include/gtk-2.0?

dwhitney67
May 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Refer to the GTK documentation with regards to including their header files. On my system, I only have four subdirs below /usr/include/gtk-2.0. These are:

gdk
gdk-pixbuf
gdk-pixbuf-xlib
gtk

Your source code (which I have not had the opportunity to review), should preface the GTK header file with one of these paths. For example, <gtk/gtk.h>.

If you require a header in one of the other directories, then follow the same style, and augment your gcc header files include path list as needed.

You may want to consider developing a Makefile at some point.