PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubuntu ever require more than one CD?

Ozor Mox
May 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The ISO for 9.04 is 699 MB if I recall correctly, which is only 1 MB under the limit for a standard CD. With Ubuntu adding new features with each new release, do you think that they are going to have to use more than one for the standard desktop release eventually?

skymera
May 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I've seen a LOT more added to Ubuntu since 7.04 and the CD back then was still 700MB.

Perhaps in the future it may become DVD. Most other distros are. Debian has like 30CDs :)

Phreaker
May 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think so.
Ubuntu has only a tightly integrated gnome de and some customizations

lisati
May 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
It will probably still be possible to fit a basic Ubuntu install on a CD for some time yet, and have a more "complete" edition on DVD as required.

What's the bet that in a few years time, maybe 10-20 years or so, the discussion will be largely academic, with new technology (e.g. bluray) eventually replacing the common CD in the same way that CDs and DVDs have pretty much replaced the humble floppy? I think I've only ever seen one desktop PC that used an 8" floppy drive, and that was something like 20 years ago or more. (That's not counting some older "cluster controllers" for the terminals at the place I used to work at)

Mehall
May 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
People are thinking all wrong.

DVD won't kill off CD, and Bluray won't kill off either, eventually it'll all be USB drives that everything comes on. Especially since USB 3.0 is just around the corner with it's transfer rate of 5Gb/s

Saint Angeles
May 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
only in the windows world does newer software == more code. a lot of times, programmers "clean up" their code while "updating" it. i think thats what they've been focusing on with GIMP lately.

i don't think Ubuntu will ever be bigger than 700MB. if they really need to add features, they may have an optional "extras" disc or just suggest you use the internet to "complete" the install.

Mehall
May 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
only in the windows world does newer software == more code. a lot of times, programmers "clean up" their code while "updating" it. i think thats what they've been focusing on with GIMP lately.

i don't think Ubuntu will ever be bigger than 700MB. if they really need to add features, they may have an optional "extras" disc or just suggest you use the internet to "complete" the install.

I remember, one time updating Ubuntu. I had about 30 packages to update. it told me it had to download a few MB of archives.

768KB will be freed.

I was all "WTF, OMG I love Linux. :D"

Simian Man
May 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Another thing to think about is that as we move to languages like C# and Python, the stuff we ship will be smaller. We can ship the runtimes, libraries and basic apps as executables and a lot of stuff on top of that will be bytcode and/or textual programs.

eldragon
May 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
one thing ive noticed is as the distro grows inside the disc, open office live funcionality has been shrunk down...so i think there is where all the extra space has been coming from...but i might be wrong...

benj1
May 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
i think ubuntu could go to dvd tomorrow, the only argument against it is older computers, keeping xubuntu cd only could solve that, i think its about 400mb.

although there is the danger then of having to fill the dvd just because its there, i don't think a 5 gig ubuntu would be a good thing, on the other hand space seems to be getting quite tight, i seem to remember a thread about vim being got rid of in the jaunty release, (don't know im on hardy), maybe a self imposed 1gb limit would be a good thing?

Simian Man
May 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
although there is the danger then of having to fill the dvd just because its there, i don't think a 5 gig ubuntu would be a good thing, on the other hand space seems to be getting quite tight, i seem to remember a thread about vim being got rid of in the jaunty release, (don't know im on hardy), maybe a self imposed 1gb limit would be a good thing?

If there were a DVD release, it wouldn't just dump all of the packages onto your hard drive like the CD does. It would allow you to pick and choose what you want to install. The Fedora DVD (and others as well) work this way. You can see a screenshot here (http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/a/a0/Tours_Fedora10_011_Install_PackageSelection.png). This is the best way to do an install in my opinion.

gjoellee
May 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
unless the new packages increase their size by many MB and the Linux compressing tool still is improving this won't ever be a problem.

However, if Ubuntu passes 700MB you could always move to a DVD and still use 1 disk.

aysiu
May 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
The question doesn't make sense.

Ubuntu will never require more than one CD.

In fact, even now you can install a minimalist Ubuntu from a 10 MB .iso and then add in only what you want.

And even now there are Ubuntu DVDs.

The default Ubuntu is one CD. And that doesn't look to change any time soon.

When it does change, though, my guess is that USB will be the preferred distribution method, as more and more computers are coming with the ability to boot from USB and UNetBootIn has made the "burn"-to-USB process quite painless. Fewer blank CDs to buy. No artificial restrictions on size (if Ubuntu goes over to 702 MB on a USB, what does it matter?).

But that will be a while yet. The truth is that Ubuntu's focus on one application per task will not make it likely it goes over 700 MB. And if it did, a lot of people would abandon Ubuntu, since 4 GB takes a long time to download, even on a broadband connection.

gn2
May 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Debian has like 30CDs :)

But that's the entire repository, you only need CD1 to install from.
There is a choice of a Gnome CD1, a KDE CD1, and a CD1 with Xfce and Lxde.
Or just install from a minimal CD which is 10mb-ish.

Ozor Mox
May 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
The question doesn't make sense.

I think it was clear to most people here that I meant the standard desktop CD, but I'll add that to the original post.

aysiu
May 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I think it was clear to most people here that I meant the standard desktop CD, but I'll add that to the original post.
I know you meant the standard Desktop CD. But you are not required (as your thread title seems to indicate) to use the standard Desktop CD. There are many ways to install Ubuntu.

lethalfang
May 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The standard Ubuntu CD is 699 MB, but how many MB's are actually used in the standard installation?
It is to my understanding that many packages included in the CD are not installed.

hardyn
May 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Agreed, I think the days of rotating media are numbered. i mean i guess they are still cheap and that is why Blue-ray exists; but i really expect flash media to replace all.

Or possibly "distributed" OSs. and your computer has only enough firmware to jump to the internet and grab the OS and programs from the ether.

People are thinking all wrong.

DVD won't kill off CD, and Bluray won't kill off either, eventually it'll all be USB drives that everything comes on. Especially since USB 3.0 is just around the corner with it's transfer rate of 5Gb/s

Ozor Mox
May 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I know you meant the standard Desktop CD. But you are not required (as your thread title seems to indicate) to use the standard Desktop CD. There are many ways to install Ubuntu.

I know. By require I meant the Ubuntu team will require more than one CD to fit their desktop ISO on, not that the users will require more than one CD to install Ubuntu, hence will Ubuntu ever require more than one CD.

Anyway, not arguing, just explaining myself :)

days_of_ruin
May 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Agreed, I think the days of rotating media are numbered. i mean i guess they are still cheap and that is why Blue-ray exists; but i really expect flash media to replace all.

Or possibly "distributed" OSs. and your computer has only enough firmware to jump to the internet and grab the OS and programs from the ether.

Top posting on purpose wth?!?

On topic: Ubuntu has media that is not necessary so that could be removed
to add more space.

t0p
May 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
+1 for usb stick, if necessary. *Not* dvd!! I've got 2 computers: a P4 desktop machine that can boot from usb but has no dvd writer; and an EeePC that has no optical drive at all.

Disks are old hat.

Bölvağur
May 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
cds will be obsolete before that happens.

Kareeser
May 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Top posting on purpose wth?!?

On topic: Ubuntu has media that is not necessary so that could be removed
to add more space.

Not necessary for you doesn't mean not necessary for everyone :)

HavocXphere
May 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
cds will be obsolete before that happens.
Just the other day I needed a blank CD. Try finding one at 11pm if you've only got DVD stacks...

I'm kinda annoyed that Blu-rays are in the same format as CDs/DVDs. I was hoping for a cartridge style container that protects the disk from dirt & fingers.

billgoldberg
May 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
The ISO for 9.04 is 699 MB if I recall correctly, which is only 1 MB under the limit for a standard CD. With Ubuntu adding new features with each new release, do you think that they are going to have to use more than one for the standard desktop release eventually?

The cd is dying.

I can't see it being used for more than 2-4 years by the average user. Most tech savvy users already don't use cd's anymore.

USB flash disks or DVD/Blu-Ray will take over.

Since high bandwidth connections are more mainstream than ever, I don't think it will be 700mb for much longer.

Give it a year or 4 and they'll be at 1gb or more.

Eisenwinter
May 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ubuntu is bloated and therefore will require more than one CD in the future, if it wants to move forwards with features.

Paqman
May 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
USB flash disks or DVD/Blu-Ray will take over.

+1

I think CDs (and possibly all optical disks) will go the way of the floppy in a few years. They'll probably keep using them for music though.

Chame_Wizard
May 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
*Buntu will stay as CD,except when all DE are integrated:lolflag:

richg
May 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Probably not, but will no doubt move on to one DVD. Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.
Things are evolving.

Rich

glotz
May 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Forever is a long time.

argie
May 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm happy that they have a CD ISO. Also, I am happy that with the Windows bootloader option you can boot the LiveCD from a DVD (my laptop does not do that if I just burn the CD ISO to a DVD).