PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] After installing KDE desktop over UBUNTU 9.04, I boot very slow

daniel.s3000
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I installed KDE desktop interface on Ubuntu 9.04 . After this, My boot until getting the password input page, takes minutes instead of 30 Secs. I use 4GB of RAM on a Turion 64X2 1.9 HP Laptop.
What's wrong?
Thanks in advance
Daniel

tacantara
May 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Just like you, I installed the Kubuntu package over Ubuntu 9.04, and found the same results. I even went as far as reinstalling Ubuntu and re-adding the Kubuntu package, with no improvement in boot time. Without knowing all the specifics of the kerenel, I won't speculate on "bloat" but I suppose the enhanced graphics of the KDE desktop lend to the slower startup. Look on the bright side - it's still faster than Vista, and perhaps XP (at least that's true on my 32 bit Dell XPS M1330). :KS

Pasdar
May 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I experienced the same until I erased everything gnome and enabled auto-login. Have you guys tried Kubuntu?

tacantara
May 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm essentially running Kubuntu now, by way of installing the Kubuntu "extras" in Synaptic. I like the Kubuntu design. I may just switch over permanently when Karmic is released in October. That way, I can do a clean install. As I have it now, I automatically boot into GNOME. If I want to switch to KDE, I just log out and open a new session in KDE. The best of both worlds, perhaps?

daniel.s3000
May 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10 and KDE.
It's just embarrassing when you start to boot your Linux front of your friends or professors, they say: Hey, Linux? Is it just this? It's so slow! Use Windows instead of wasting your time!!!!!!!!
Please tell me what should I do:cry::cry::cry:

x12796
May 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I've done the install Ubuntu and then install Kubuntu desktop via synaptic on 8.10 and 9.04 and have not experienced this problem. My box has an Athalon XP 2100+ (1733 MHz)processor with 1 GB RAM so it's not a powerhouse. I've also got XP dual booted as well. Did you guys install 9.04 from scratch or do the upgrade as I had some Kubuntu performance problems until I slicked Ubuntu upgrade and did a fresh 9.04 install.

daniel.s3000
May 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I had a clean install too:((

amtextinfo
August 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm glad this is not only my problem. Nearly everyone says there's no downside to installing too many DEs/packages, but I've learned it the hard way. People should pay more attention and not make their system bloated.

HTML-insane
September 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Did a clean install of Kubuntu 9.04 and don't have this problem.
Someone above mentioned removing gnome configuration paths (typically ~/.config/gnome*)... has anyone tried this yet and confirmed?