PDA

View Full Version : dell ships ubuntu and xp netbooks side-by-side

bryncoles
May 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
http://www.betanews.com/article/Dell-changes-its-Windows-vs-Linux-netbook-strategy-plans-new-subsidized-model/1242236699

the rub of it all: in future, ubuntu netbooks from dell will be available at the same time as the windows ones.

Dell's increasing emphasis on Linux is a bit surprising, given that a number of observers lately have pointed to Windows' growing domination on netbook platforms industry-wide.

does this sound like the dell we all know and love?

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Okay, so what's the price difference between the linux version and the windows version?

I mean the incentive for these companies to offer ubuntu comes from the fact that a windows license accounts for a much larger percentage of the overall price of a netbook. Cut out windows and you could offer the same hardware at a more competitive price.

Marlonsm
May 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
What Ubuntu (or Linux, in general) needs to get into the netbook market (and possibly others too) is advertising. Few people know that Ubuntu can doo everything a netbook is supposed to do.

The problem is: who would pay for it?

gn2
May 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I would prefer to see Ubuntu on higher end hardware as well.
Netbooks are really rather limited, I would hate to think that the public profile of Linux was being tainted as something with lower capability because of it's use in these low-end machines.

bashveank
May 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Okay, so what's the price difference between the linux version and the windows version?

I mean the incentive for these companies to offer ubuntu comes from the fact that a windows license accounts for a much larger percentage of the overall price of a netbook. Cut out windows and you could offer the same hardware at a more competitive price.

Except that Microsoft offers huge discounts to bulk manufacturers. They probably also have some revenue kickback deals. Add to that supply and demand, and the Linux netbooks could end up being more expensive than the Windows counterparts.

What Ubuntu (or Linux, in general) needs to get into the netbook market (and possibly others too) is advertising. Few people know that Ubuntu can doo everything a netbook is supposed to do.

You speak the truth.

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. Asus sure took a hit on their Xandros-equipped eeepcs.

jespdj
May 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Well, finally Dell is starting to sell computers with Ubuntu here in the Netherlands.

They now have the Dell Mini 10v, which is a lot like the regular Mini 10, but with an Atom N270 (instead of Z-series Atom), and they're selling it with Windows XP or Ubuntu 8.04.

As far as I know this is the first time ever that Dell is selling computers in the Netherlands with another OS than Windows.

monsterstack
May 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It just takes so long for change to happen. Not so long ago, there were a whole range of different operating systems available for users to run. That all started to change after Windows 3.1. Having Windows pre-installed on every new computer sold, yes well we all know what happened next. Frankly I am amazed so few people are surprised with this situation. The reason Windows is so popular is because it is installed on people's computers before they even buy them. The longer the situation remains the same, the less likely Linux is to get new users.

Is it any wonder Microsoft are fighting tooth and nail to stop things like this from happening?

Here's to more vendors having the balls to do something different for a change.

Paqman
May 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM

I doubt Microsoft is asking more than a few dollars for an XP license, especially for a massive customer like Dell. Effectively Windows is free or of very negligible cost.

That might change when Microsoft starts pushing them to put the netbook version of Win 7 on their machines, as they're unlikely to offer even a cripple version of Win 7 for the same price they'll take for XP. You'll also see a qualitative gap between Windows and Linux shrink at that point. They've left a lot out of Win 7 to make it run on netbooks, and that might make Windows look a lot less attractive compared to the various Linux offerings (which are generally pretty bad IMO)

NCLI
May 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I really hope they'll switch to installing the Netbook Remix come 10.04...

michaeldt
May 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Whats really needed is for Dell to include an Ubuntu CD with every netbook, hell, every laptop and PC they sell.

AndThenWhat
May 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Whats really needed is for Dell to include an Ubuntu CD with every netbook, hell, every laptop and PC they sell.

I second that motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSxsDS4aCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHCYjFWqHA

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think a lot of the hardware makers must have become disenchanted with Wintel because of the issues with Vista. Most IT departments are waiting to see what Win7 is like before buying any more machines. It must have made Dell and others realise just how dangerously dependent they are on Windows.

Daveski
June 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM
That might change when Microsoft starts pushing them to put the netbook version of Win 7 on their machines, as they're unlikely to offer even a cripple version of Win 7 for the same price they'll take for XP.

Ah, but they'll simply stop supplying XP and in the process force Win7 - even if it is rev-limited to only run 3 apps at a time...

mamamia88
June 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
how well does ubuntu run on netbooks? definitely can't use compiz right?

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I'm using Compiz on my HP Mini netbook. Works just fine.

Seishuku
June 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM

Runs great, and I'm not even using the remix.

MasterNetra
June 1st, 2009, 01:06 AM
*removed*

MasterNetra
June 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Except that Microsoft offers huge discounts to bulk manufacturers. They probably also have some revenue kickback deals. Add to that supply and demand, and the Linux netbooks could end up being more expensive than the Windows counterparts.

How would that be true? I mean sense Ubuntu is without cost (for the OS itself), I mean the only way MS could match it would be to provide their OS for free and/or to actually pay them to use windows, but knowing MS I don't see that happening. As to the supply and demand thing, keep in mind if its between the same type of computer the prices of both would go up as more and more people buy the computer after all neither windows nor Ubuntu is the actual computer it self. ;) For Ubuntu its OS add cost wouldn't go up from 0 because dell isn't paying anything for it. As for it being between differant machines I still wouldn't worry about i mean think about if the linux models are selling well, do you really think dell is just gonna have only a couple of models? Their gonna focus more on linux then windows, because apparently there models with linux are selling the best. So even if one particular goes up to match it there will be another cheaper model still. ;)

MasterJS
June 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Windows 7 is being limited to sub 10.1 inch netbooks and the limit of 3 apps has been removed.

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
Windows 7 is being limited to sub 10.1 inch netbooks and the limit of 3 apps has been removed.

Error. The Starter Edition will be available for Netbooks with sub 10.1 inch screens (as well as a few other restrictions I can't remember). Hardware better than those specifications will have to run Windows next-one-up-from-Starter-Edition, whatever that one is called. That means if anybody does have the balls to package Linux on those slightly more powerful Netbooks, then the price difference will be more apparent. (Logic dictates, but who really knows.) The three App Cap has been removed, though, yes.

albinootje
June 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
Well, finally Dell is starting to sell computers with Ubuntu here in the Netherlands.

Where did you see that ?
A search for "ubuntu" on http://www.dell.nl comes up with "not available", and http://tweakers.net/pricewatch shows one shop which apparently only sells the version with the RedmondOS.

gn2
June 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
It was back in 2007 that Dell announced that they would ship desktops and laptops with Ubuntu installed.

Two years on, the relationship isn't quite what it was.

If you click on the links on this page (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-available-in-europe) you'll notice that in Europe things have taken a turn for the worse.

Kareeser
June 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM

I wouldn't mind paying the same price for an Ubuntu netbook if all the money I pay extra (equivalent to one Windows 7 license) goes towards an ad campaign boosting Linux/FOSS. :)

I think others would say the same.

mybunche
June 1st, 2009, 02:36 AM
Dell has available for the first time in Australia an Ubuntu release. It's a Latitude 2100 which designed for the education market, but anyone can buy it. I put an order in for one.

bashveank
June 1st, 2009, 04:40 AM
How would that be true? I mean sense Ubuntu is without cost (for the OS itself), I mean the only way MS could match it would be to provide their OS for free and/or to actually pay them to use windows, but knowing MS I don't see that happening.

Microsoft offers Windows for very low cost to Netbook OEMs. Like I said, there are probably revenue sharing deals going on as well.

As to the supply and demand thing, keep in mind if its between the same type of computer the prices of both would go up as more and more people buy the computer after all neither windows nor Ubuntu is the actual computer it self. ;) For Ubuntu its OS add cost wouldn't go up from 0 because dell isn't paying anything for it.

They are only paying "0" for Ubuntu to the manufacturer. They still have to pay for tech support, for marketing, for design, for integration, for driver development, if its needed, and for other various expenses.

[quote]As for it being between differant machines I still wouldn't worry about i mean think about if the linux models are selling well, do you really think dell is just gonna have only a couple of models? Their gonna focus more on linux then windows, because apparently there models with linux are selling the best. So even if one particular goes up to match it there will be another cheaper model still. ;)

Don't know what you mean here. But the assertion that Linux netbooks are selling better than Windows ones is a hotly argued one.