PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask a Windows troubleshooting question on a Linux forum?

amitabhishek
May 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Can I?:roll:

lisati
May 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Well.... it's not really up to me but if there's a possibility of using Ubuntu to help with the troubleshooting.....hmmmmm....this is an Ubuntu/Linux forum after all......

Manigoldo
May 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
There is such a thing as the MSDN Forum :) and its pretty good actually

skymera
May 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
There is such a thing as the MSDN Forum :) and its pretty good actually

Never heard of it.

I posted my XP thread in Community Cafe anyway ):P

jespdj
May 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yes but obviously a forum about Windows would be a better place to ask such a question.

dmizer
May 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Try here: http://grubbn.org/forum/

This is the reincarnation of the Other Os Talk forum that used to be here.

halovivek
May 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM
you can ask in community forum. it will be better.

motoperpetuo
May 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM
you know, there used to be a category on the ubuntu forums called "other os talk." within that category there were subcategories for many other operating systems, among them windows. anyone know what happened to it? is it still here, hidden somewhere? if not, i vote for it to be brought back!

it was actually one of the better sources i've found for windows and fedora help. i miss it.

Joeb454
May 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
We closed the Other OS Talk forum some time ago.

To allow you to ask questions regarding another OS here, we added a tag to the General Help forum specifically for this.

I still think you'll get better help from an MSDN forum than here :)

Therion
May 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Best Windows support site I've yet found:

Tech Support Guy: http://forums.techguy.org/

Tipped OuT
May 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM

To allow you to ask questions regarding another OS here, we added a tag to the General Help forum specifically for this.

I see some one has moved up the ranks and has become an administrator. :D

motoperpetuo
May 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM

i dunno. the help i got here was pretty good. i suppose it's ironic that my main source for tech help when i was studying for my MCSA last year was a linux forum. then again, i used to ask most of my fedora questions here, too. people are just very friendly and knowledgeable. plus, i find that people who know both linux and windows tend to be much more well rounded technically. if i make a reference to a technical aspect of linux on a windows forum, i'm likely to get the online equivalent of a blank stare, if not outright hostility towards that which they fear and don't understand.

that said, i understand that the powers that be probably want the forum to focus more on ubuntu specifically. makes sense. it's a great OS. i've been mainly on fedora for the last year or so, mostly because my company uses red hat, but i'm seriously considering switching back to ubuntu because i like it better.

hyperdude111
May 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
MDSN is good

pwnst*r
May 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM
hook, line, and sinker.

mikewhatever
May 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Yeah, why not. You can also ask questions about your car at a local pharmacy, good luck with that.

pwnst*r
May 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, why not. You can also ask questions about your car at a local pharmacy, good luck with that.

yes, because that's the same.

SunnyRabbiera
May 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Well truth be told a linux forum is better to ask about windows then a actual windows forum in my experience.
Far more helpful lot, on most windows forums you get idiots who cant figure out how to even start their computer much less use the OS on it.

Firestem4
May 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
A wise man once said "Its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission." :P

gn2
May 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Back in my Windows days I found the Elder Geek (http://www.theeldergeek.com/) site to be very useful.

3rdalbum
May 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
As we say on IRC: Don't ask to ask, just ask.

amitabhishek
May 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Not until they prove that Sildenafil Citrate improves the mileage of the car ;)

Well truth be told a linux forum is better to ask about windows then a actual windows forum in my experience.
Far more helpful lot, on most windows forums you get idiots who cant figure out how to even start their computer much less use the OS on it.

i dunno. the help i got here was pretty good. i suppose it's ironic that my main source for tech help when i was studying for my MCSA last year was a linux forum. then again, i used to ask most of my fedora questions here, too. people are just very friendly and knowledgeable. plus, i find that people who know both linux and windows tend to be much more well rounded technically. if i make a reference to a technical aspect of linux on a windows forum, i'm likely to get the online equivalent of a blank stare, if not outright hostility towards that which they fear and don't understand.

that said, i understand that the powers that be probably want the forum to focus more on ubuntu specifically. makes sense. it's a great OS. i've been mainly on fedora for the last year or so, mostly because my company uses red hat, but i'm seriously considering switching back to ubuntu because i like it better.

I +1 that ...IMO Linux users are inherently better with Windows too!