PDA

View Full Version : The Palm Pre has landed

hanzomon4
May 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Sprint (http://now.sprint.com/nownetwork/productPage.html?id12=UHP_Masthead_050109_PreTwitt er) I want one... and I have an iPhone

amitabhishek
May 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Looks like wait is finally getting over....:p.

I too want one and have a week old iPhone.

Polygon
May 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM
its not out...it even has a button that says "tell me when its out".

hanzomon4
May 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Pricing and release date: Ars (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/05/palm-pre-arrives-june-6-for-199-after-mail-in-rebate.ars)

Well it's being advertised and the release date is june 6th, what sucks is the plan it's 70 bucks!

MikeTheC
May 20th, 2009, 01:22 AM
June 6. I'm definitely look at one myself. I'd love to get an iPhone, but I already have an iPod Touch and I refuse to switch to either GSM or AT&T.

pwnst*r
May 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Pricing and release date: Ars (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/05/palm-pre-arrives-june-6-for-199-after-mail-in-rebate.ars)

Well it's being advertised and the release date is june 6th, what sucks is the plan it's 70 bucks!

70 is about what i pay for the iphone, so that means you're pretty close too. you should be used to it by now.

hanzomon4
May 20th, 2009, 04:14 AM
70 is about what i pay for the iphone, so that means you're pretty close too. you should be used to it by now.

I am but I'm trying to cut cost... After my contract is up or when it comes time to upgrade hardware I'll look into switching, especially if I get a Moblin netbook. I really want to make a push for a fully linux digital life. I love my iPhone and Macbook pro but I've been waiting for Linux to get to this point for sometime and now that it is I want to start putting my money where my mouth is.

Orlsend
May 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
ILl buy if they decide to switch to linux. since they been planning all this years. I got a Treo and I feel with palm you get your money worth on hardware, Unlike the iPhone where most of your money's worth go the Logo.

rmausser
May 22nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
if who switches to linux? The Palm Pre runs on linux. (Palm Web OS)

Kasese
June 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
June 6. I'm definitely look at one myself. I'd love to get an iPhone, but I already have an iPod Touch and I refuse to switch to either GSM or AT&T.

Interestingly, I actually got the iphone specifically because of GSM. GSM is used in just about every country in the world so when I travel outside of the US, I just get a local SIM card. This is a much cheaper option than international roaming. CDMA seems to have better call quality but I hate being locked in.

sports fan Matt
June 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Am i incorrect in thinking the Iphone is for only at&t?..I only buy motorola phones (uncle retired high up in the company)

steev182
June 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Then you'll have to wait for Motorola to bring out an Android based phone...

I don't quite understand the rationale of limiting yourself to one manufacturer because your uncle used to work for them (regardless of his final position), unless you get the handsets with a really high discount.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Am i incorrect in thinking the Iphone is for only at&t?..I only buy motorola phones (uncle retired high up in the company)

unlocked you can use it with Tmo

steev182
June 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Indeed, I was using my english iPhone with a T-Mobile USA sim card whilst in New York the other week.

treesurf
June 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
An unlocked quad band version of the Pre would be tempting.

extraspecialbitter
June 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Question: will the Palm Pre sync to an Ubuntu desktop with JPilot?

extraspecialbitter
June 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Question: will the Palm Pre sync to an Ubuntu desktop with JPilot?

Never mind - in reading up a little bit more on the Pre it doesn't seem like "old school" syncing applies.