PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to get "c with cedilla" key?

alexweber15
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I have a standard US keyboard (mapped to generic 105 intl keyboard) and all accents and characters like etc work fine but instead of "c with cedilla" (using character map: ) I get "c acute": ć when pressing: ' + c

this is the only combination that works, can anyone help me please is there a way to remap the '+c behavior to switch from acute to cedilla?

thanks

Alex

Sarai the Geek
May 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
If you plan on using a lot of accented characters, the best thing you can do is use the international keyboard layout. There's a pretty good explanation of it here (http://spanish.about.com/od/writtenspanish/a/dia_ubuntu.htm), although they're using Spanish as the example it works for most romance languages since you can get all of the main accents (I won't list them because I can't remember how to say most of them in English... ;)) over almost every letter. It takes a little bit of practice to learn but once you've got it down typing in languages with accents goes much faster.
You can turn it on in the keyboard layout settings. I recommend you enable both the standard US (UK, CAN, etc) keyboard and the US Alternative International keyboard. You can add an applet to your panel that allows you to switch between them quickly.

jimbog
May 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM
This is the best solution I've found - I often need to write in French.

I have the keyboard layout switcher in my taskbar, and have it set so that a certain key combination (e.g. shift + caps lock) changes between layouts.

It doesn't take too long to learn where the different keys are (in the French layout, the key is the 9 key).

alexweber15
May 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It all seems a bit overkill really... ALL other accents work as expected using my current US-INTL layout, its only really the behavior of combining '+c which outputs accute and I'd like to change to cedilla.

Is there no other workaround short of changing my entire keyboard layout because of 1 key??

Thanks again!

mcduck
May 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have a standard US keyboard (mapped to generic 105 intl keyboard) and all accents and characters like etc work fine but instead of "c with cedilla" (using character map: ) I get "c acute": ć when pressing: ' + c

this is the only combination that works, can anyone help me please is there a way to remap the '+c behavior to switch from acute to cedilla?

thanks

Alex

have you tried AltGr + + c? I'm not absolutely sure if US-international uses right Alt key as AltGr or not, but it's worth a try..

adrianx
May 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
It sounds as if you already have "compose key" set up, so try:

Compose Key + , (comma) then c
That will give you

Edit:
To set up the compose key (similar to AltGr) on a standard US keyboard,
System > Preferences > Keyboard.
Click on the "Layouts" tab.
Click "Layout Options"
Expand "Compose key position" and select a key that you want to use (I use "Right Win")

Here are some common compose combinations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key).

alexweber15
May 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey all thanks for all the replies... I'm still not sure what a compose key is but in testing all your suggestions I figured it out by accident... Right Alt + Comma = !! weird eh? no pressing of c is required... it's not the most natural combination but will do :)

thanks!

Sarai the Geek
May 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I think my favorite part of the intl keyboard is that you can make some crazy characters that aren't, apparently, in unicode. They're readable by other people using Ubuntu but Windows people will complain that they're getting boxes or question marks!
d ś ẅĥẗ 'ḿ ẗĺḱǵ bẗ ?

I'm real fun at parties... lol.

alexweber15
May 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
lol :P

I guess this is the wrong forum to ask anyone with windows if the cedilla shows up properly...

Sarai the Geek
May 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
lol :P

I guess this is the wrong forum to ask anyone with windows if the cedilla shows up properly...

I could check it with my mac...

djspiegel3
October 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The definitive solution to obtain cedilla/cedilha using ' + c is the following (works for all releases of Ubuntu from 7.10 to 9.10; 7.04 and earlier require different solution):

In terminal type:

sudo gedit /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodule-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.immodules

* Locate the line that reads:

"cedilla" "Cedilla" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale" "az:ca:co:fr:gv:oc:pt:sq:tr:wa"

* At the end of the line insert ":en", as such:

"cedilla" "Cedilla" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale" "az:ca:co:fr:gv:oc:pt:sq:tr:wa:en"

Save the file and restart the computer. Cedilla will work as expected.

guriinii
October 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Edit:
To set up the compose key (similar to AltGr) on a standard US keyboard,
System > Preferences > Keyboard.
Click on the "Layouts" tab.
Click "Layout Options"
Expand "Compose key position" and select a key that you want to use (I use "Right Win")

Thank you!

leorolla
November 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
djspiegel3's solution rocks.

instead of acute c

If it doesn't work, I have put a more complete instruction here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330912

pvfloripa
February 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Great! Thanks for posting it, djspiegel3.

leorolla
February 5th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Great! Thanks for posting it, djspiegel3.

Yes, it is really nice!
Thanks djspiegel3

If you want it working for KDE applications, see my post.

And if you think it's ridiculous that my grandmother has to edit a text file called "/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodule-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.immodules" (what???!!!) to get , so that in the end she stays with other OS's, you may want to vote on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7603/ and hopefully it will work out of the box in the near future.

seff-feedback
December 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
An easy way is described here:
https://sites.google.com/site/sefftips/gtk-cedilha