PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install works on some PCs and not others?

atavori
May 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
First of all I'm pretty much a total linux N00B so forgive my ignorance. I've successfully installed Ubuntu 8.10 on about six machines and failed to do so on two. I've since tried 9.04 on those two but ran into the same problem. I've tried it off a LiveCD as well as USB (both of which are tested working on other machines).

The problem I'm running into comes after i get to the Ubuntu menu, whether i choose to run Ubuntu presistantly or to just install it, it begins loading, i.e i get the ubuntu loading screen with the bouncing progress bar, but before it stops bouncing and starts showing progress, it throws an exception and gives me an error (the specifics of which i can't remember off the top of my head, but will post after work when i re-create this), and after a few seconds it posts another, different, error on the next line, and the next, and keeps doing this until i reboot.

sorry for the lack of specifics, but i will add them when i can. in the meantime i was hoping maybe this was a common-ish problem that someone here might have encountered and have a solution ready for?

again, both the CD and the USB drive are confirmed working on every other machine, including a couple laptops.

The machines in question are both newer than the others that i regularly run Ubuntu on. they both run off E-series dual core Intel processors, and have PCI-E 16x graphics cards (9600gt on one, don't know the other, but it's different). one runs a SATA HD, the other an IDE. One of these machines is mine, so this is extremely frustrating as i'm really getting sick of being stuck w/Vista... any help would be appreciated, and again i'll post more details on the error messages ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

hansdown
May 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the forum atavori.

On some computers the "alternate install disk" works better.

If you go to the download site you can click alternate install

and get this iso.