PDA

View Full Version : Ex Apple Users, what did you replace iTunes with?

steev182
May 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Over the years iTunes has had features added to it, which have changed it from the music jukebox that let you sync with an iPod to an almost all encompassing digital media app.

So what I would like to know is what ex Apple, or even ex iTunes, users have replaced iTunes with for their media management.

I wondered this because, although VLC is a great app for watching video, I have a load of different TV Shows, Movies and video podcasts that I watch either from my computer or through uShare on my xbox 360. The problem that moving to VLC has caused is I can't see an obvious way of finding out what unwatched episodes I have.

I enjoy Songbird so far, it keeps up the Apple pretence of looking good, but in terms of video management, it doesn't work.

The only other problem I've had without iTunes is the inability to sync with my iPhone, but some time soon an HTC Magic would solve that for me.

LowSky
May 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Personally I've been using Amazon for any purchases. And Banshee as my Multimedia player of choice.

Cammy
May 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I use Rhythmbox to play/manage my music collection, Amazon to make purchases, and a Sandisk MP3 player (in MSC mode) as my music player.

Still waiting for them to release a 64-bit version of the Amazon Downloader.

mamamia88
May 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
no offense to anyone who likes itunes but it seriously is a piece of crap and even if you had the ability to use it you should really think of finding something better anyway.

Tipped OuT
May 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Windows Media Player does the job for me..which is just..play my music. :p For Ubuntu I use Rhythm Box.

Simian Man
May 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
<snip>

What about for someone who got one as a present or got a cheap used one? Should I tell my family member I don't like their gift because I think it's overpriced? Keep you judgements to yourself if they are so unhelpful. Nobody cares.

I like Rhythmbox for managing my iPod. Banshee has many more features, but a few show-stopper bugs currently (for me anyway).

zekopeko
May 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
might i recommend banshee? it handles video and audio similar to itunes. try it out and see if it works for you. if not please file bug reports/feature request so that it can be improved.

tubezninja
May 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM
no offense to anyone who likes itunes but it seriously is a piece of crap and even if you had the ability to use it you should really think of finding something better anyway.

Thanks for your opinion, but that didn't answer the OP's question (and I believe he's trying to move away from iTunes, so you seem to be preaching to the choir anyway).

steev182
May 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
OK, and no offense, but the reason for this is to ask about a solution that is better!

I'm not interested in managing an iPod, just in managing TV Shows and Movies in a better way than just using nautilus. A way that tells me if I have watched the show before (this is important when you have about 25 shows, with different seasons in each).

The music side I'm ok with, just a way of keeping an eye on playcounts for TV Shows is what I'm after.

Thanks zekopeko, I'll check out Banshee.

RiceMonster
May 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
OK, and no offense, but the reason for this is to ask about a solution that is better!

I'm not interested in managing an iPod, just in managing TV Shows and Movies in a better way than just using nautilus. A way that tells me if I have watched the show before (this is important when you have about 25 shows, with different seasons in each).

The music side I'm ok with, just a way of keeping an eye on playcounts for TV Shows is what I'm after.

I think banshee's the closest you're going to get with that (it plays music and video). Most video players for Linux more or less just play, they don't really manage.

overdrank
May 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks zekopeko, I'll check out Banshee.

Ok I am going to close this thread as it is getting out of hand quickly. To steev182 please post in the support areas of the forums.