PDA

View Full Version : Intel fined a record €1.06bn in EU anti-trust case

ukripper
May 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2242180/intel-charged-harming

Methuselah
May 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2242180/intel-charged-harming

Intel taking a page out of Microsoft's playbook.

ukripper
May 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Intel taking a page out of Microsoft's playbook.

So true..they are learning from each other since 80s):P Time to clamp down on ethics..

Orlsend
May 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I was happy with their products, now probably that money that could had been used for making better Intel products is in the hands of bureaucrats of the EU. well they got make some money some how.

Pasdar
May 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
They should have been fined $10 billion. Intel sucks, buy AMD.

cmat
May 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
That is just a blatant anti-trust violation right there. Not one of those maybe they are maybe they aren't Microsoft violations.

RiceMonster
May 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
They should have been fined $10 billion. Intel sucks, buy AMD.

Yeah, open sourcing all your drivers and having great Linux support blows. Intel sucks.

zekopeko
May 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I was happy with their products, now probably that money that could had been used for making better Intel products is in the hands of bureaucrats of the EU. well they got make some money some how.

so how do you think EU should have punished them? make them write a 100 time "I will not use illegal business practices"?

Yeah, open sourcing all your drivers and having great Linux support blows. Intel sucks.

Using underhanded tactics to secure your position on the market sucks. Intel used those tactics. Therefore Intel sucks in this case.

SunnyRabbiera
May 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Using underhanded tactics to secure your position on the market sucks. Intel used those tactics. Therefore Intel sucks in this case.

well Intel is by far not a pioneer in this area, pretty much every business does something like this and no one stops them.

zekopeko
May 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
well Intel is by far not a pioneer in this area, pretty much every business does something like this and no one stops them.

true. but the point is that the EU fined them (and heavily so) and people here (and broader)are all "EU bureaucrats are stealing money to fill their pocket" while forgetting that that's one of the reason governments were created. To regulate and sanction illegal behavior.
I was hope that AMD sues them for lost profits and wins another could billion or five.

tyroeternal
May 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
It is too bad that AMD will not see any of the money they lost from all this.

While I am happy that someone called Intel out on doing this, they are in a strange position. At this point they are so big that they cannot try to compete without being punished for squashing the competition. They are just like any other company, they compete to win. Would AMD do any differently if the roles were switched?

SunnyRabbiera
May 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It is too bad that AMD will not see any of the money they lost from all this.

While I am happy that someone called Intel out on doing this, they are in a strange position. At this point they are so big that they cannot try to compete without being punished for squashing the competition. They are just like any other company, they compete to win. Would AMD do any differently if the roles were switched?

Probably not, AMD would be the same if they had the power.

Rainstride
May 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
amd sucks anyway.:D

amitabhishek
May 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Awesome! Looks like only EU guys have nuts!

Pasdar
May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I don't blame you for not knowing. You've probably spent your life on Intel chips. Here is some news for you: open source or not, Intel sells crap for the price of gold.

Now go buy a hammer and beat the crap out of your Intel GMA and install a GeForce or something.

RiceMonster
May 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I don't blame you for not knowing. You've probably spent your life on Intel chips. Here is some news for you: open source or not, Intel sells crap for the price of gold.

Now go buy a hammer and beat the crap out of your Intel GMA and install a GeForce or something.

Thank you for understanding my point. I was definitely saying Intel chips are better than AMD and other competitors.

But seriously,the point is, Intel does have some good aspects to them, like it or not. I wasn't asking you to switch to Intel hardware. Also, while my intel graphics card isn't top of the line, it doesn't require any setup at all, which is nice. Plus, I'm using it on a laptop, so I'm not worried about getting top performance.

SunnyRabbiera
May 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I dunno, my intel 915 card despite its age seems to still fare well.
Its almost on par with a Nvidia made at the same time, without me worring about getting extra drivers.
Of course its underpowered in the modern sense but if something works for me why not use it :D
As for processors Intel beats AMD right now

BuffaloX
May 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If this hurt AMD, why is AMD not getting any of the money?
Maybe VIA too? Why are there no VIA based netbooks?

monsterstack
May 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Maybe VIA too? Why are there no VIA based netbooks?

I have a VIA laptop, and driver support from them is just awful. Thank god they haven't touched netbooks yet.

Giant Speck
May 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM

But... but... that would require spending money.

ghindo
May 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Now go buy a hammer and beat the crap out of your Intel GMA and install a GeForce or something.If you mean in terms of graphics, then yes, Intel obviously isn't the forerunner in that field. If you're talking regular ol' CPUs, Intel is very hard to beat.

Pasdar
May 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Intel vs. AMD, here are some facts

Same generation CPU's benchmarked against one another will result one being good in some things and the other being good in other. There will be no clear winner, or one may win by a slight margin.

however.

Using CPU's in the same price range, benchmark them and you'll see that AMD will walk circles around Intel CPU's.

I doubt we will find more than a hand full of people on this 7 million member forum that has the latest released CPU. So that is what you should never compare. You should always compare according to the money you're willing to give away for a CPU. You'll see that AMD will always win.

Now in terms of GPU... lol everyone knows Intel GPU's are horrible.

Wanne bet my NVIDIA or ATI will beat Intel GMA, this while I will use generic drivers (not installing proprietary drivers) and you can install whatever drivers you have for Intel GMA.

Intel GMA will do what its good at, displaying your DE and doing a few things like checking videos on the internet, do anything more and you'll be pushing its limits.

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I like intel and amd. I own both.

That said, I don't like the way intel has tried to stifle amd so I am OK with this decision.

Richard Posner anyone?

Firestem4
May 14th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I am very pleased with the court decision. I myself am a fan of AMD. And I can not stand Intel's business practices (which are critically outlined by this case.)

However, I have no AMD computers... And it fits in with this perfectly. If I had my choice I would have certainly purchased my laptop with an AMD CPU, However no one offers them. =(

camper365
May 14th, 2009, 12:49 AM
This is weird, I was just watching that on the news.

swoll1980
May 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
AMD, and it's share holders should get that money, not the EU government.

monsterstack
May 14th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Here's a short video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReBN51NY2-A) [youtube.com].

"They are sponsors of the European tax-payer."

Hah.

Redache
May 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM
AMD, and it's share holders should get that money, not the EU government. Why should AMD get the money?, The Complaint was found to be true and Intel have been fined accordingly. Giving the Money to AMD won't help anything, then you'll just swap positions. It's not ALL Intel's fault that AMD have had a hard time. It's because they sucked at designing decent CPU's for a few years. It happens.

I doubt we will find more than a hand full of people on this 7 million member forum that has the latest released CPU. So that is what you should never compare. You should always compare according to the money you're willing to give away for a CPU. You'll see that AMD will always win.

Now in terms of GPU... lol everyone knows Intel GPU's are horrible.

Wanne bet my NVIDIA or ATI will beat Intel GMA, this while I will use generic drivers (not installing proprietary drivers) and you can install whatever drivers you have for Intel GMA.

Intel GMA will do what its good at, displaying your DE and doing a few things like checking videos on the internet, do anything more and you'll be pushing its limits.Basically.....

Intel are still better Price: Performance wize. AMD may be cheaper but BANG for the buck Intel are actually superior. AMD are cheap, granted, but that doesn't mean they are better. Those Ageing X2's are still crap when compared with a low end Core 2 Duo. Motherboard wise Intel's are cheaper overall. You may disagree with that point but having had to research a cheap motehrboard recently AMD's are more expensive overall (unless you want some seriously awfull motherboards that are at least 2-3 gen's out of date). Now for the person I had to research for I went for an AMD processor because I saved £10 by getting an older X2 but with a Motherboard I felt happy with(He needed Firewire and that is the only place AMD win on price with regards to motherboards). Had I had £30 more he would've had an Intel build.

I don't hate either company but Fanboys really irritate me from both camps. Go with what you can afford. In the UK <£50 = AMD. >£50 Intel. No competition.

About Nvidia + ATI.... Intel Only make integrated chipsets. Of course they wont be as powerfull as a dedicated card, but they're cheap and are fine for normal users. It's like comparing an Elephant to a Dog. Honestly.

Whilst you may think Intel are extreme Suxor at making GPU's, have you read the GPU Specs they have for the Ray Tracing stuff they were working on?. WHY do you think Intel and Nvidia are suing each other every chance they get?.

Brand Loyalty is pointless in the IT industry. Use what works best. Nearly every Hardware Manufacturer is guilty of some sort of anti-competitive behaviour. The reason Intel got fined is because they A) got Sloppy and B) AMD whined when profits were down.

RedMist
May 14th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Because this is "EU vs Intel". Not "AMD vs Intel". Intel have been found guilty of illegal practices and have been fined accordingly. This is the way it's supposed to work. If Intel manage drive AMD out of business, how long do you think Intel's products will remain so cheap? When you're the only show in town you can charge what you like and get away with it.

LightB
May 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I've tried AMD processors, they're really nothing great. I suppose if they were cheaper than Intel ones they could compete more fairly if illegal acts actually took place. But AMD chips are not as good as Intel overall. Just processors, with buying ATI it's different since Intel video is pretty weak, but too bad ATI drivers suck. I would definitely buy an AMD supportive motherboard if I found a deal.

Btw, I find it pretty hilarious that you go to a place like newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks) and most of the type listings on the cpu page are AMD, with the bottom being the sole core 2 duo. Oh, AMD, you're being so screwed by this major online vendor.

clhsharky
May 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
If AMD processors are not so great, could you please explain this link to me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Roadrunner

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 06:02 AM

I just ordered one of those from newegg.

clhsharky
May 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Intel, AMD, and I'm sensing IBM also, make some the best processors in the world.
If you know how to use them. I don't care much for fan boys either.

LesterPalooza
May 14th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Got one for my birthday.

drawkcab
May 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Got one for my birthday.

Do you use gnome or kde? Which DE is best for calculating gravitational topographies of starclusters anyway?

tbroderick
May 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Btw, I find it pretty hilarious that you go to a place like newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks) and most of the type listings on the cpu page are AMD, with the bottom being the sole core 2 duo. Oh, AMD, you're being so screwed by this major online vendor.

Newegg lists a total of 22 AMD laptops vs. 146 Intel laptops.

ghindo
May 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RoadrunnerThis is a link to an article about a supercomputer on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

ukripper
May 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
EU have "*BALLSZ* of STEEL". Keep it up guys, ripping off bluechip giants!

glotz
May 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Don't you just love the wintel mafia?

jethro10
May 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM

See your point, me too. But it may have their monopoly was used illegally at a cost of the suffering of other poor employees of other companies to get that gain. Are you happy with that? I'm not.

Unfortunatley someone has to take responsability for that.

J

Bölvaður
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Does no one see the point of the fine?
They practice extremely unhealthy business practices that should have been chocked at birth.

No matter how great intel cards are or how great they are to us. They still forced them self a bigger piece on the market and helped new technology from amd being not so new when it came to the market, by delaying computer manufacturers the release of amd computers.

In the short term we lose a tiny bit better processors intel might have made, but in the long run we gained the ups and downs of intell and amd like we have seen. It wasnt long ago intel was asleep and amd had much better products... what if there was no amd?

stop complaining.

Swagman
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/140509/1242299562.png

Nice title

skymera
May 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Saying "Intel sucks" or "AMD sucks" is just ridiculous.

Giant Speck
May 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Here's something funny: Intel's stock is actually up about 30 cents this morning.

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/b?s=INTC

MikeTheC
May 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm curious to see how this will pan out. But... here's a sort of reverse question:

What if Intel (sake of argument) were to decide to pull out of Europe altogether? What is it exactly that you'd think would happen?

Giant Speck
May 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm curious to see how this will pan out. But... here's a sort of reverse question:

What if Intel (sake of argument) were to decide to pull out of Europe altogether? What is it exactly that you'd think would happen?

The EU would fine them for discrimination.

:lolflag:

RiceMonster
May 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM

AMD would be happy about it, that's for sure.

ukripper
May 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Now AMD jumping on bandwagon "Intel fine raises AMD hopes for more action" - http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2242247/intel-case-raises-amd-hopes

Interesting quote:
"Intel's fine was the largest ever by the EU and comes at a time when US anti-trust officials have vowed to change the Bush doctrine of non-interference in markets. No anti-trust cases have been prosecuted in the past eight years in the US."

Swagman
May 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM

intel would lose a shed more dosh !!

ukripper
May 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM

in that case I reckon Intel will have no income coming in, just would about able to get production going.

Redache
May 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM

It would be an act of economic suicide. Whilst they may make enough money to exist in the US the need all of the worlds markets to make any sort of money and the only place barring the US and Canada they can make any serious cash is Europe. If I recall China aren't allowed current gen processor technology (I could be wrong/outdated on this) and places like Japan, whilst wealthy aren't big enough markets to add much in the way of revenue.

Europe has around 770 Million people and say 50% of them are in Wealthy Countries (Germany, France, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Switzerland etc.). so it's equal if not larger to the US and Canada.

They should just take the lashings and learn that they need to behave for a change.

ghindo
May 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
What if Intel (sake of argument) were to decide to pull out of Europe altogether? What is it exactly that you'd think would happen?No more Intel. Why on Earth would they pull out of such a large market?