PDA

View Full Version : Rythmbox.... for XP?

Zodiac
January 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
What is a Rhythmbox-esque program for XP?

I love and use Rhythmbox exclusivaly at home but I need a music player for my work PC which runs XP.

Windows media player = the suck.

Thanks!

lolocaust
January 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
rhythmbox is trying to be an itunes-esque player i think, and im sure i read that somewhere before :P

try musikcube, its not exactly rhythmbox, but i liked it when i was looking for a "rhythmbox for xp myself"

awakatanka
January 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mediamonkey is a nice prg. And free at and has plugins to like lyrics etc. And has no spyware in it.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Thirsteh
January 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Winamp is my personal favorite for Windows.
Other than that I guess there's iTunes, my experience is it takes too many resources though.

Zodiac
January 11th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yea I hate iTunes cause of that...

I have used Winamp before... but I would like to select albums to play rather than just artists...

These are all great suggestions though :)!!

Stormy Eyes
January 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
http://www.foobar2000.org is worth using.

Lovechild
January 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Actually I read that someone was porting Rhythmbox to Win32 following the effort to get Evolution running on Win32 as well.

For now applications like iTunes is probably your best bet.

bornagainpenguin
September 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Actually I read that someone was porting Rhythmbox to Win32 following the effort to get Evolution running on Win32 as well.

Any updates on this? Being that I'm stuck in WinXP on my EeePC 901 for the power savings I'm trying to make Windows as much like Ubuntu as I can. Having Rhythmbox back would be a good step in that direction!

--bornagainpenguin

kevin11951
September 19th, 2008, 02:57 AM
If your looking for an "iTunes-like-ish" player, theres is always my personal favorite Songbird.

billgoldberg
September 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Winamp is the best.

I recently tried a few for Windows XP on a friends computer and it is still the best.

I tried iTunes (had to know what all the fuss was about), mediamonkey, wmp 10 (or 11, I forgot), and a few other obscure ones.

iTunes gave me all kind of errors and wasn't usable. And it installed other programs that started on bootup without asking me.

Mediamonkey looks horrible.

Wmp is well, wmp. It's not bad, but not good either.

Winamp looks good, is pretty fast and I love the shoutcast radio and television.

Oh, I don't know if this has already happened, but a while ago there was talk about kde apps running on windows, one of them being Amarok.

--

Since the gimp toolkit can run on windows, would it be able to port it over?

lakersforce
September 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
What is a Rhythmbox-esque program for XP?

I love and use Rhythmbox exclusivaly at home but I need a music player for my work PC which runs XP.

Windows media player = the suck.

Thanks!

Why not use Rythmbox then? You probably could install Cygwin and then compile from source....