PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] want to print a list of installed packages (as backup)

bishman
May 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hi all

I was wanting to print a list of all installed packages to print out so that, if I do a clean install, I can highlight what applications I had on the system.

I notice 'dpkg -l' will list in terminal - but how do I get dpkg -l to print to file?

Thanks

sjuranic
May 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
If you're using "bash" as your shell (or any of the Bourne shell variants: ksh, zsh, ash, etc), just do:

dpkg -l > packages.list

This will store all of your package selections in the file named "packages.list"

Also of interest to you is section 3.6 of the Bash info page (do "info bash", then look in the index via the "i" command and type "redirections").

Have fun.

sjuranic
May 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Forgot to mention, if you're using a C-shell variant, things are a little trickier. C-shell historically didn't support I/O redirects. So it might be easier just to switch to bash, even if it is just for this one command.

lovinglinux
May 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Follow this:

To replicate your packages selection on another machine (or restore it if re-installing), you can run this:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages

This will save a file called my-packages in your home directory. Make a backup of it, install the fresh release, then restore the file "my-packages" to new home partition and run this code in the terminal:

sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

It will download and install all the programs for you, except those that you installed manually, if they are not in the new repository

bishman
May 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks you both for your help - thats perfect.

lovinglinux, If I follow your instructions, will apt-get sort any packages dependencies / obsolutes that might not be needed after upgrading. Or will it just replicate the package list...

I should mention that I am upgrading 8.10 - 9.04. Thanks

lovinglinux
May 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM

lovinglinux, If I follow your instructions, will apt-get sort any packages dependencies / obsolutes that might not be needed after upgrading. Or will it just replicate the package list...

That's a good question. It will sort dependencies, but I'm not sure about obsoletes. For instance, it installed Python 2.5 on my machine along with Python 2.6 (which is the default on Jaunty). Python 2.5 was not entirely obsolete, because 3 applications still depended on it, but my machine's overall performance was improved after removing it.

sjuranic
May 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Is there some reason that using "apt-get dist-upgrade" isn't working for you?

bishman
May 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I am performing a clean install from cd for a couple of reasons, mainly a bandwidth usage issue.

However, I am now on the other side of it and all seems well. Other than that my mouse's clicking will occasionally stop working and I can't do alt-tab on the keyboard - only alt-f4 to quit (this is all the one issue btw) but these only happen occasionly and I have faith they will fix in a future update.

Thanks for your help!