PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video card with rf out

Barriehie
May 13th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I've been checking out hulu.com and can anyone recommend a video card that has the male rf cable out that will plug into a TV???

Thanks,
Barrie

Vostrocity
May 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I don't think that's quite possible. RF connectors were used back in the 70s and they're too big to fit in a PCI slot. Why are you using RF? That's the worst quality possible on video connections, worse than RCA/Composite, S-Vid, Component, VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I think the only connectors you'll ever find on a graphics card are VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI. If you're asking for RF maybe your TV is old? Then just use a VGA/DVI/HDMI-to-RCA dongle. :)

Barriehie
May 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Okay, my terminology is wrong and I apologize! I need a video card that has a male connector out that is like the cox cable connecter, the same thing that plugs into a broadband cable modem!

Thanks!
Barrie

ugm6hr
May 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think the only connectors you'll ever find on a graphics card are VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI.

Of course analogue TV-out connections tend to be S-Video. Useful for those of us still in the dark ages ;)

Vostrocity
May 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Oh yea that's true. In fact my laptop has S-Vid. But newer cards don't have that anymore.

To the OP, I have never seen any card with a cable connector out. But I'm sure your TV has something more "normal". Unless your TV was pre-90s, then it should have at least S-Video.

benerivo
May 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Although the latest cards probably won't have s-vid out, you should stil be able to get an older nvidia card from shops/online that will have (see here for one in the UK - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218224). I had one and it worked fine for tv display. There is a package in the repositories called nvidia-settings (see this pic - http://tracylogan.com/uploads/Image/nvidia-settings.png), that will help you configure the tv display.

Barriehie
May 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys! I think I'll be upgrading my TV to a flat screen, yeah, 'bout time, and I'll see what kind of inputs it has and then work it backwards to the video card. My computer is 'ancient' too but it's old faithful compared to that other OS I had on here.

Barrie

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Nice. All flat panels have VGA (fat blue connector) in so you can just use the cable you already use with your monitor.

Barriehie
May 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Nice. All flat panels have VGA (fat blue connector) in so you can just use the cable you already use with your monitor.

Yeah, Best Buy is giving me WAY more credit than I need to spend on hardware but... :p

Barrie