PDA

View Full Version : When are you no longer considered an Ubuntu Noob?

sir_nasty
May 13th, 2009, 04:02 AM
So here's the deal.... I've written a small script, done some hardware troubleshooting/repairs, installed a few versions.... done a kernel rebuild, dual booted, configured grub by hand, and a few other things in command prompt etc. but I still feel like I don't know squat about Ubuntu/linux compared to my knowledge of windows etc.... so at what point do you stop calling yourself a noob and get to act like you have a clue?

freebeer
May 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I dunno. I'll tell you when I hit that point. :lolflag:

I don't worry about it though... I really enjoy the learning process, and with so much info readily available, and folks willing to help, the speed at which I can learn keeps the frustration level to a minimum.

Vitamin-Carrot
May 13th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Good question

My answer would be you can no longe rbe considered a n00b when you realise that its ok to ask someone for help if you cant find the answer on google.

HappinessNow
May 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM
When you start a thread asking: "When are you no longer considered an Ubuntu Noob? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1157645)"

cariboo
May 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
You stop feeling like a noob when you are able to overcome any small problems that pop up without having to resort to google to help you solve them. :)

markusf21
May 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Personally I have a great luck with my computers. I haven't had to pop the hood too often, haven't had to compile often. Basically everything has pretty much just always worked for me. (I know I've been lucky.) So I will probably be a noob till I die. (Or have a lot of major problems to learn from.)

Corelogik
May 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Just like learning windows, when you finally realize that you no longer think about it, you just do it.

original_jamingrit
May 13th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'd say, it's when you reach the point that sudo apt-get install seems easier than digging around in Synaptic.
EDIT: And also feels 10 times easier then searching around for a .deb online, checking the MD5sum hash, and then double clicking.

lisati
May 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM
You stop feeling like a noob when you are able to overcome any small problems that pop up without having to resort to google to help you solve them. :)

Just like learning windows, when you finally realize that you no longer think about it, you just do it.

When you automatically reply with "Go to the terminal (on the Applications->Accessories menu) and type in sudo dpkg --configure -a It will ask for your password, don't worry if it doesn't show when you type it in, that is normal" and manage to do so without dyslexic fingers and with the proper tags.

LowSky
May 13th, 2009, 05:55 AM
When you automatically reply with "Go to the terminal (on the Applications->Accessories menu) and type in sudo dpkg --configure -a It will ask for your password, don't worry if it doesn't show when you type it in, that is normal" and manage to do so without dyslexic fingers and with the proper tags.

LOL perfect explanation.

Personally I think your not a noob when you can set up a complete install without looking up tutorials or asking for help.

medicalystoned
May 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
LOL perfect explanation.

Personally I think your not a noob when you can set up a complete install without looking up tutorials or asking for help.

really, no way, i have done that and know nothing about this. ubuntu is soooo much easier than windows.......... peace

Kingsley
May 13th, 2009, 07:15 AM
When you switch to Arch Linux, I guess. :P

monsterstack
May 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM
It doesn't matter how much you learn about the command line, or the file system, or permissions, or kernels, or boot scripts or any of it. When you're on the internet, you're never more than five posts away from somebody who knows more.

powerpleb
May 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
When you switch to Arch Linux, I guess. :P

lol, thats what I was going to say.

Followed by... When do you know that the Linux enthusiasm has finally worn off?
When you get bored with configuring everything manually and switch back to Ubuntu.:P

nothingspecial
May 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
when do you know that the linux enthusiasm has finally worn off?
When you get bored with configuring everything manually and switch back to ubuntu.:p

+1

djyoung4
May 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I know i am a noob. I just installed yesterday. greatest decision ever though. took me 10 minutes and didn't have to look at anything just followed directions and somehow everything worked. and i managed to get my wifi card working with no help either.

ice60
May 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
i'm sorry to have to tell you but, by just asking that question you will be a noob for at least another 49 years.

most people consider me to be the world's greatest expert, it's no big deal though.

ashmew2
May 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
When you dont need to worry anymore , something like "Porblems they come they go :P"

When you're comfortable with unix/linux i mean you can do stuff make scripts etc..But you can never acctually "overcome" being a noob because something/someone will always be there to evade you..