PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenOffice botched package install, crashes repeatedly

Kareeser
May 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hey guys,

Usually, I update my OpenOffice.org installation by uninstalling OpenOffice:
sudo apt-get remove openoffice*

... and downloading the Linux DEB straight from OpenOffice.org and installing it.

This time around, I added the OpenOffice.org PPA (https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa), just for kicks, and installed it. Unfortunately, I left openoffice.org running, and that might have messed around with some things.

Long story short, I tried to uninstall openoffice.org using the same method as described above, except now, dpkg reported that it couldn't find the package, even though I hadn't altered my software sources. Eventually, I went into Synaptic and got trigger happy with the openoffice packages, and removed any I could find.

THEN, I tried to install the Linux DEB, which proceeded fine. Only problem now being that the program won't actually run properly. When I click on the button to open a new document, OO crashes and throw up an error submission dialogue.

I've tried "sudo apt-get purge openoffice*", followed by autoremove and autoclean, but nothing has changed.

Help!

sir_nasty
May 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
what's the message when it crashes?

whoop
May 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Did you remove ~/.openoffice.org ?

Kareeser
May 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Beautiful. I thought apt-get purge would have erased ~/.openoffice, but I guess not!

Too bad UF doesn't have karma, you just earned some there.