PDA

View Full Version : PHP regular expression to parse new line

mohtasham1983
May 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to extract some information from an html document using regular expression.

For example, I want to extract the "Results1" and "Results2" from a document that has the following information:

<li>
<b>Title1: </b>
Results1
</li>
<li>
<b>Title2: </b>
Results2
</li>

I use the following regular expression:

@\<li\>(.*)\</li\>@

This one returns everything inside the first <li> block. While I still need to extract everything inside the second <li> block.

That's why, to get the information inside the second block, I use the following regular expression:

@\<li\>\<b\>Title2: \</b\>(.*)\</li\>@

I think because the <b> tag comes in a new line after <li>, it's not able to find it. I searched on a lot of PHP regular expressions tutorial, but couldn't find any way to add new line to my regular expression.

Any idea how to eliminate my new line problem?

Reiger
May 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If your first pattern works fine why not use preg_match_all(), far as I can see it should match the second block too... ?

mohtasham1983
May 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Now, I'm facing a new problem.

Isn't (.*) supposed to extract everything in between?

Using the method you mentioned, I can get the following tags perfectly file:

<li>
<b>Title1: </b>
Results1
</li>
<li>
<b>Title2: </b>
Results2
</li>

However, if there's any space after <b>, the result is not shown up. For example, the following won't be extracted:

<li>
<b> Title1: </b>
Results1
</li>
<li>
<b> Title2: </b>
Results2
</li>

EDIT: I just realized the problem is not with the space. It's the problem with new line again. It means the following doesn't work:

<li>\n
<b>Title1:</b>\n
Results1
</li>
<li>\n
<b>Title2:</b>\n
Results2
</li>

ghostdog74
May 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
use (.*?) for non-greediness