PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] So if I install KDE on ubuntu...

Fzang
May 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I will be able to seamlessly switch between GNOME and KDE, right?

Also, what happens to system settings (I've messed around with some to activate hibernate on laptop, powersaving etc.), will they be touched in any way?

lykwydchykyn
May 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I will be able to seamlessly switch between GNOME and KDE, right?

You just select the one you want at login from the "session" menu.

Also, what happens to system settings (I've messed around with some to activate hibernate on laptop, powersaving etc.), will they be touched in any way?

Depends on the setting, perhaps, but GENERALLY configuration dialogs in GNOME/KDE are just front-ends for some non-desktop-specific service or config file in the background. So it should generally pick up on settings you've set in one or the other.

There may be some exceptions to this, but you'll discover that as you go along.

alexandari
May 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Note that you will have both Kubuntu and Ubuntu applications installed too ;)

Fzang
May 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Note that you will have both Kubuntu and Ubuntu applications installed too ;)

Oh yeah, of course, but what's 100 mb more or less. As long as it doesn't have an impact on performance

Asraniel
May 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
No it should have no impact at all on performance

Happy_Man
May 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
No it should have no impact at all on performance
Well, let's be clear here.

If you are running a KDE program on GNOME, there will be a noticeable lag on any system. This is not because KDE sucks, it's because the computer needs to juggle two sets of libraries (KDE and GNOME) to keep itself running. The same thing will happen when running GNOME apps on KDE.

Again, this is not your fault. It's simply because you want to buck the system ;)

The actual installation of the DE itself will have no effect on the performance of the other DE.

lykwydchykyn
May 13th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Well, let's be clear here.

If you are running a KDE program on GNOME, there will be a noticeable lag on any system.

Hrm, I've never noticed this lag. I can understand in theory the additional libraries would require more memory, but hardly enough to produce noticeable lag on a modern piece of hardware.

who knows though, I've probably never run a 100% single-toolkit desktop.