PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 vs 9.04

Turtleman
May 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 and my intel video works awfully. I tried the workarounds but they didn't work. Should I downgrade to 8.10 and get everything running smoothly, or should I wait for the ubuntu devs to release an official fix? And for those of you who have ubuntu for a long time, how long does it usually take for them to release those kinds of fixes?

subdivision
May 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If you don't need to have video I'd just wait. If video is necessary it would probably be best to go back 8.10.

Turtleman
May 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah but the desktop animations lag with low video performance and even youtube HD lags. But then again, downgrading would be a lot of trouble I would lose all my programs and customized stuff.

frodon
May 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
You mean you tried the following workaround without success ?:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Performance%20regressions%20on%20Intel%20graph ics%20cards

I'm not sure it will be fixed in jaunty, so i'm scared you will have to wait next ubuntu version. But the workarounds should work.

Roasted
May 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah but the desktop animations lag with low video performance and even youtube HD lags. But then again, downgrading would be a lot of trouble I would lose all my programs and customized stuff.

Don't you keep your home directory on a separate partition? This allows you to install Ubuntu with each release without losing your personal data. You'll lose programs and such, but not personal data, just as long as you don't check the box for "format" when you install a new version.

If you need additional help with that, search the forums or shoot me a PM.

Turtleman
May 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Tried the workarounds, they crashed my computer. I had to undo them. I'll try messing with them a little bit more.

About keeping my files on a separate partition, I have a windows xp partition and I can move my files there. What makes me feel bad is that I got my desktop looking all nice and stuff and I don't quite remember how I did it :P. I hope they do release a fix, or else I'll be upset XD

I decided to downgrade the driver, that will probably fix it.

meeples
May 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
huh but the 8.10 live disk wont support ext4 will it? so it wont be able to install without reformatting it back to ext3, unless of course ur still using ext3 then you should be fine as long as you go to manual partitioning and dont formatit

Turtleman
May 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM
huh but the 8.10 live disk wont support ext4 will it? so it wont be able to install without reformatting it back to ext3, unless of course ur still using ext3 then you should be fine as long as you go to manual partitioning and dont formatit

I haven't updated to ext4 yet, because I upgraded my 8.10. It doesn't matter now, because I downgraded my driver now my system is running perfectly smooth =D

binbash
May 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM
What is your video card?