PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clean install problem, crashes to live CD, wierd

ninjasmith
May 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
hi

this is a bit of a wierd one. I've tried searching but don't really know what to search for so I thought I'd post.

I've been running ubuntu64 as dual boot with vista for a while and upgraded to 9.04 I was getting lots of sound errors so I decided to do a clean install. I installed again with 64bit and it worked mostly fine but the nvidia drivers weren't working and skype was missing (I have kept my home partition). I decided wtf 32bit is easier due to increased comptibility. I reinstalled BUT

now everytime when i get to the point where I manually choose the partitions it seems to work ok, says its formatting the partitions, and as the point where it is about to install the system it just loads the live CD desktop instead. I have tried running the install from the live CD and completely formatting the / /home and swap partitions. nothing works and now grub is knackered so I can't get to vista either.

can anyone point the way to a solution for me?

EDIT: - just worked out that ubiquity is crashing. ran from live CD and as it was baout it install I saw it fail and a crash report appeared for ubiquity. now just gotta find out why

thanks in advance

ninjasmith
May 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
well I installed 64 bit. couldn't get 32 bit to install even after an afternoon of trying, how wierd is that!!! ubiquity kept crashing even after I wiped all the linux partitions with gparted

wierd